Moving form Enumclaw to North lake taps (Bonny Lake)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hungup76

After being home when a intruder broke in to my house wile my 2 kids and I were home my wife and I decided to move. we found a house that we are going to move in to in the first week of FEB. i have a 100g reef tank with a 20g sump. I am a bet of a newbie still. Needless to say I have no idea how to move my tank safely. My tank is 60"/20"/24". The tank its self is not the problem I have a truck. I have no idea however to move the livestock and water.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I plan on joining PSAS on 2013/2/1 little short on finds ATM. :bowl: Oh and one other thing. proving I can pill this move off with out a hiccup. Will there be any expected die off preventing me form purchasing at the upcoming frag swap?

Thank You for your help.
Kristopher

This happened in Enumclaw???? I thought it was still really safe there. I just live down the road in Black Diamond.

In order to pull off the move without die off you will need to dedicate your whole day to just the tank. You will need to have some new water at the new house First you'll have to take everything out and put into tubs with heaters and power heads or air pumps to keep it warm and oxygenated. Leave the tubs there and haul the tank to the new house and set it up. After that go back to get the live stock. I just moved a 180 across town and set up my 210 in this fashion with zero loss. I've also moved a reef up from California like this (heaters and air stones) with zero loss. The most important part is keeping things warm and wet including the LR. Dont worry about spilling water in the truck.

Good Luck

Agree!!!
The most important part is keeping things warm and wet [and oxygenated]

Some things that helped keep critters warm and oxygenated in my move:
*Coolers or styrofoam boxes instead of buckets - if you don't have enough coolers for everyone, keep your most sensitive items in the coolers. The temp difference at the end of my move between cooler water and bucket water was stark.
*Inverter for the car's cigarette lighter - unless you have battery-operated air stones, this will let you use a regular plug-in air pump. Probably not the right thing for use with a heater though, unless the heater is really low wattage.

I also agree with coolers, and unless your sand is very very young you should use new sand also. I used an 800 watt inverter when I moved up from Cali.

Back