Mrc-6

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mr.Firemouth

RUL'N DA REEFS
Is anyone else using any of the MRC skimmers? This one is the best skimmer I have used to date!
Here is the setup...
skim2.jpg

Here is the start up....
foam1.jpg

Here is the cup after 15 minutes...Notice how dark the foam already is!
cup.jpg

Here is the skimmer after 6 days...WOW!!!
skim3.jpg

Like I said This is the best skimmer I have ever used! I wish I would of had something like this in 1985 when I started reefing!

NICE!!!! That skimmer is really doing it's thing! I remember looking at the MRC skimmer's when shopping for a skimmer a little over a year ago as Larry (diablo) couldn't stop mentioning them, but I ended up buying an AquaC EV-120 instead (LOL) Thanks for sharing the pic and welcome to RF!:)

Yeah!!! I remember when looking at them, they gave you a few options to personalize/customize your skimmer a bit! Very cool...:)

I use a MRC MR-2 and it is by far the best skimmer I have ever used as well, I drive it with a GenX PCX-55.

You have to ditch the cotton ball though, that thing clogs up quick, I built a large muffler/air filter with carbon to remove perfumes and such from the air. With all the air that your skimmer pulls in it only makes sence to filter it.

Whiskey

Whiskey, do you have your air valves all the way open? Do you find a lot of instability in the foam level? Are you skimming wet or dry?

The Beckett valves for the venturis are flow related. I drive my MRC-6 with a hammerhead pump from Reeflow/Sequence. I barely open my valves and get excellent foam. If I open them too much I will get too much foam and overflow the skimmer cup dramatically. If the flow was slower I would need more air. I do not filter my air.

If the foam is turbulent then there is too much back pressure and the skimmer cup needs to breathe more. This can be done by using a larger diameter tube for the overflow port and drilling holes in the lid of the overflow container. I use a 5g bucket with drilled lid.

I am running two DIY versions of those skimmers and they Kick some serious butt! I love the design and they have by far the best bubble reaction....

skimmer.jpg

skimmercup.jpg

Matt

So you guys are closing your value to your becketts. How open would you say they are?

yup I love the mrc-2 so far!!! powered by a pcx-55 and was thinking the same thing about the cotton ball... could you post a pic of your air filter mod?

Back