MrGone's 150g mixed reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

This is sort of a temporary aside:

My Dad has a 255 gallon tank at his office he had setup a couple years ago. Seeing it setup really sparked my interest in this hobby and is when I started researching and learning. A few months later I setup my own 10 gallon tank in my dorm room which has evolved into the 150g tank and system showcased in this thread.

Unfortunately his tank crashed last week, 5/18/2010. I'm not sure what exactly caused it but he has been fighting a losing battle for the last year. The way the company set it up works if you have their weekly service contract, but it has quite a few shortcomings (no baffle for the skimmer so the water level constantly changes, no auto top off either, no live rock (they would switch out the coral skeletons with clean ones weekly), bio balls, an undersized skimmer (rated for 180g on a heavy stocked 255 gallon), used tap water, among other things). When the skimmer broke it took them 8 months to replace it. He canceled the contract, was doing weekly water changes with RO water he brought from home, switched to live rock and removed the bio balls, switched out the crushed coral substrate for live sand, etc. but last week something caused the nitrogen cycle to become upset, nitrates were off the chart and ammonia/nitrites were up above 0 (I forget what). I want to say thank you to Barrier Reef Aquariums for doing water tests for him, and for all the help with trying to get his tank to where it needs to be. It is tremendously helpful and he wishes would have known about you when he purchased the tank.

He lost over half his fish, including my old flame and bi-color angels I recently gave him. In total he lost his show french angel, powder blue tang, purple tang, yellow tang, heniochus butterfly, royal gramma, flame angel, bi-color angel, occelaris clownfish, 6 yellow tail blue damsels and I forget what else.

Luckily since he has let me take over a good portion of his house with my own fish tank stuff while I'm away he has been able to save his queen angel, one occelaris clown, six yellow tail blue damsels and the two skunk cleaner shrimp I gave him with the angels. Primarily because I have a lot of "old" tanks and equipment I need to sell but haven't been home to be able to. (from transitioning from a 10g to 29g to 40g to 55g to my current 150g).

On the "plus" side now the live stock isn't affecting our options/decisions on how to fix his setup. Now we can drain it and start from new, before we could not. It is not really a plus but any aquarist who has experienced this kind of loss knows how defeating it feels and how discouraging it is. I think if it were not him taking care of my setup he would have exited the hobby for a while.

A couple months ago I asked him to setup my old 40 gallon breeder and fill it with the old water from water changes on my 150g. I was having him do this for two reasons, to use the tank to cure live rock and so he would have a quarantine tank in case something bad happened. For the last 5 days his fish have been in this tank.

There is nothing wrong with his fish, the deaths were water quality related, not bacterial/disease. They've spent a week in quarantine and look and act fine so I recommended he attach my old 55 gallon reef ready tank to my system and keep his fish in there. This way they have excellent water quality and he doesn't have the additional maintenance with the 40g running (potential cycle, fresh water top offs, setting up filtration, the occasional forgetting to feed his fish because they are in another room, etc) and stressing his fish in it (his queen is too large for a 40g breeder for more than short term). Attaching the 55g to my system to keep his fish in removes any time pressures while we redesign his tank.

Additionally my protein skimmer is rated for 700 gallons lightly stocked, 400 gallons heavily stocked and I'll be right around 250 gallons with the 55g on my system. I also have a 100lb dry rock order coming in and having the 55g setup works two fold because now he can put the rock in there and still have it seed instead of making a huge temporary rock pile in my display tank lol.

He has new water mixed and up to temp, as of right now the only thing left is finishing the plumbing for the return pump.

Here is the 55g in place
IMG00611-20100522-2104copy.jpg

IMG00612-20100522-2104copy.jpg

Here is the overflow plumbing from the 55 gallon to my sump (the ATO sensors have been relocated)
IMG00638-20100523-1934copy.jpg

I had him use my mag drive 7 as a return pump for the 55 gallon. I originally bought it for my 29g but have since been using it for water changes.
IMG00637-20100523-1933copy.jpg

He is using the return piping I had on my 29g setup. It was laying in the garage and already has anti-siphon holes drilled. It is going behind the tank, he just sent me this pic to show me what he is doing
IMG00640-20100523-1958copy.jpg

And he just sent me this pic while I was typing this post:
IMG00641-20100523-2227copy.jpg

But the union he bought did not come with the o-ring so he has to go back to the store tomorrow. I think he'll have the tank filled tomorrow and probably transfer his fish over on Tuesday.

I came home for Memorial weekend and bought Apollo's old metal halide and VHO setup and it looks sweet!!! (thanks a bunch Apollo!) These pictures are from yesterday.
31079_513540052451_299000042_504616_2860059_n.jpg

_MG_9441-25.jpg

larger version of the full tank shot here

_MG_9446-25.jpg

_MG_9447-25.jpg

And this morning I went to visit Dang and picked up some very very cool corals
_MG_9478.jpg

New full tank shot after redoing the rock work and adding more dry rock I ordered
_MG_9488-25.jpg

larger version of the full tank shot here

very nice tank and the set up indeed,,
glad to meet you guy this morning,,and very nice corals you got it with you for sure:)
keep on the great job ..:)

Thank you Dang!

Hey Apollo I'm going to give the Galaxy to my Dad to use because it takes up less space and fewer wires under there. I'm tempted to fire it off and see if it looks different than my Lumateks but only the center lamp has the sunlight supply style connector and I don't know if dual ballasts can safely run only one bulb or do I need to have both sockets plugged in? My older lumateks use different style plugs. Have you posted pictures of your new setup? How do you like them?

These new actinics are fantastic btw! Thank you for offering them to me, I'm really glad I was able to do that. It's amazing to see the difference between the lumenarcs and the batwing reflector in the middle.

crazy fish tank wall lol. Now I need to run a dedicated circuit, it's too much for the family room circuit :(
_MG_9468copy.jpg

When I reaquascaped my 150g tank I pulled out all the softies what were becoming more of a nuisance and put them in the 55g. We moved my Dads fish from the quarantine tank into the 55g as well. His queen has actually been really well behaved with the softies, I'm impressed.
_MG_9473copy.jpg

I can't believe I can actually consider some corals to be a nuisance now, it is so nice to have a healthy flourishing tank!

nice shawn, i wish I can have lots of tanks. looks like everythings coming together nicely. I'll take pics of the new setup soon.

I'd prefer just to have the one display but we had to setup the 55g to save his fish, I had it all cleaned to sell lol

My Dad took some pics and sent them to me tonight :) I can't wait to get home and actually be able to enjoy the tank again! Also it looks like the dry rock is starting to transform, very cool.

IMG00682-20100607-2157sm.jpg

IMG00688-20100607-2201sm.jpg

IMG00693-20100607-2207sm.jpg

IMG00695-20100607-2209.jpg

I bought the baby flame angel at Barrier Reef a couple days ago, it is a really cool little fish. I put him in the 55g because he is so small and I wanted a chance to see him (vs. the 150g with all the tunnels and caves and such). He really likes a barnacle shell I have in the tank.

When I first introduced him it didn't take long for the yellow tail blue damsels to start bullying him so I removed them all and put them in the 40g breeder with my friends live rock in it. I was surprised because he is red, but apparently the size and shape did it. I had even mixed up the rocks a bit before hand. The flame is ~1" long

35682_513972485851_299000042_523485_2620283_n.jpg

I know a lot of people caution against it and I was very careful adding them but there are now 5 angels in my 55g. It's temporary but nice to see they are all getting along. It started out as my Dad's adult queen angel but then I added the angels I've been buying to test their appetites for corals instead of just releasing them into my 150g to wreak havoc.
36996_513972500821_299000042_523486_7529578_n.jpg

I think this is amazing, my baby french cleans my dads adult queen and it is really cool to see (especially since everyone on other forums and online stores warn sternly against mixing angels).
33992_513972510801_299000042_523487_625784_n.jpg

8/24/2010 update of my 150 gallon SPS Reef :)

_MG_9552-2.png

_MG_9555.png

kind of a rough idea of what the whole thing looks like... from one angle, there is a huge valley in the middle you don't see from this side
FTSCombo.png

I grabbed two Pinnate batfish a couple days ago. I'm working on building out a fish tank room and they will ultimately have their own tank.

_MG_9730ccopy.jpg

_MG_9720ccopy.jpg

Wow! You have a really nice tank!

Also i like those batfish, how big are they?

I just read that they aren't reef safe and can get up to 20inches.. Look really cool yet frightening at the same time.

thanks guys! the small one is about 3" the large one is about 12"

they aren't reef safe and are very difficult to feed. I read they might even eat aiptasias. They haven't bothered any of the softies in that tank but I think they might eat the cleaner shrimp on the other side of the egg crate. Originally I was worried about them getting stung by the anemone but then I read they are a predator of anemones.

Back