MrGone's LED build complete w/pics

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MrGone

:)
So I have had this in the works for a few months and finally got it setup yesterday. I still need to do some finishing touches but for the most part it is done. I ordered all the parts from Steve's LEDs. For the price and this being my first LED build, it worked out well. I built it for my Dad's aquarium at his office.

There are 154 3w LEDs total, 144 over the display and 14 over the refugium (I still need to install). I am thinking about using the Digital Aquatics ALC module, right now I just have them plugged in like a regular light and am using six rheostats to control various arrays.

I'll post the pretty pics first, I tried to color balance them the best I could (I might try again with a 15% gray card but this is a fairly good representation). To give an idea of the brightness, all of the office lights are on in these pictures I had to meter a few stops lower to get the correct exposure of the fish tank.

Here are the whites on full power, the blues turned all the way down
_MG_0247copy.jpg

Here are both the blue and whites on full power
_MG_0248copy.jpg

And here are the blues on full power, the whites turned all the way down
_MG_0249copy.jpg

Here are two of the three light bars on the display tank, the LEDs are mounted to 1.25" 0.125 wall aluminum square tubing.
180594_518454084691_299000042_646703_7565394_n.jpg

This is the refugium LED array, the fan will be rotated 90% when it is installed to the underside of the cabinet
156718_517616882451_299000042_627143_3412995_n.jpg

Now this next part I am particularly happy with how it turned out, it was quite a bit of work (I have big hands and this was kind of tight). It will be bolted to the underside of the stand above the fresh water storage container (there will be a sheet of acrylic that attaches to this to prevent splashing/etc).

Getting a general idea of what I want to do
167042_517877824521_299000042_634057_2672716_n.jpg

Power supplies mounted, wiring up the drivers
164762_517880324511_299000042_634100_3298640_n.jpg

I put quite a few hours into this part. The LED arrays plug into ports 1-7 and the rheostats plug into 11 and 12. I was going to use 8-10 to power fans but each tube ended up having a spare wire pair that I ended up using instead.
36241_517913433161_299000042_635011_2998120_n.jpg

I mounted the rheostats into a wall plate/box. I'm not sure if this will be my finished product but for now it works (the numbers are backwards because I was working from the back side of the plate and was a little too focused on wiring and not enough on the order from the front... oops :D)
162793_517919421161_299000042_635094_7903391_n.jpg

The back side. Standard network cables (T568B) are used to connect the rheostat box to the patch panel.
167125_517919391221_299000042_635093_5745450_n.jpg

Letting them breathe! the fans blow down the middle of the tube to the other side, then exit the canopy.
164715_518453994871_299000042_646698_5073443_n.jpg

I think the only thing I would do differently (and still might) is to add one more white LED bar (49 more cool white LEDs), just a personal preference.

-Shawn

Last edited:
You know shawn you did a real nice clean job on those lights my friend, inspiring to say the least. Good on you.

Mojo

Bree had a great way of adjusting white balance for just the tank lights. I believe she placed a pure white piece of paper against the glass and placed the lense directly on it. This way the only light being used for the balance shone through the paper from the tank lights. I figure its worth a try as good as her pics are.

Shawn, very nice setup... Linear design and modular. I like how you did the wiring, specially with those potentiometers. Probably insane to know which one goes where.... very nice, I like it... I believe, these are SteveLeds retrofit. I really like the blues, very deep.... Nice work!!!

Thanks guys! :) It is great to hear and I am really happy with how it turned out. This whole tank rebuild has worked out really well.

Cesar I was checking out some of your other LED build threads and it looks interesting, unfortunately I've only had time to skim. I'm hoping to read through them in more detail soon.

Looks awesome, if you've got some spare time to answer a few questions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Tank Dimensions?
Estimated cost of building these lights?

excellent LED build! :)
and love the penninsula tank too.
what are the dim's of the tank,
and i see a vortec on there, is there one on the other side of the overflow??
cant tell from pic... but it looks like there is, and just was curious how the flow is in that system.

Hey Shawn, what a great LED build. I just recieved all my components from Rapidled and can't wait to get started. Couple of questions on Stevesled is there an option for or room enough to place lenses/optics on some of the led's to get better/deeper light penetration and #2 whats the noise level/decibels on those fans ???
I still need to order some of Steves Cyan 510nm led's but have been waiting on some info about his fans noise level. I did buy some Ultra Quiet 14-dba @ 32 cfm 80mm fans at Fryes for $10 ea but like the configuration of Steves fans better if not to loud.

Cheers, Todd

Lovin the design of your rocks and the light control.

Thank you! we were actually kind of discouraged by the rock scape, sometimes it seems like it just goes together perfectly and other times it just seems like it isn't and that's how this one felt :-/ Sometimes these big tanks make me miss nano's lol. It was really nice to hear that, thank you!

Ok I just figured out how to do the multiple reply thing :D
Looks awesome, if you've got some spare time to answer a few questions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Tank Dimensions?
Estimated cost of building these lights?
The tank is 84x24x32 (LxWxH), The invoice from Steve's LEDs is $1,158.57, figure in another $40-50 for thermal compound, wire, the patch panel, RJ-45 connectors and screws, etc.

I totally missed this!! Very nice job man!! :peace:
Thanks Krish, it took quite a bit of time but I'm pretty happy with the results! I did learn however that the drivers needed active cooling, one of the quad drivers for the white LED array was tripping the thermal protection circuit and shutting off so I plugged a fan into one of the power strips and walla!

excellent LED build! :)
and love the penninsula tank too.
what are the dim's of the tank,
and i see a vortec on there, is there one on the other side of the overflow??
cant tell from pic... but it looks like there is, and just was curious how the flow is in that system.
Hey Skimmy! 84x24x32 (LxWxH). There are two Vortech MP60W's on the tank in addition the return pump is a Water Blaster HY-10000 that goes through four 1" bulkheads with 3/4" outlets on each corner of the tank. I used to have an oceans motions on it but it was restricting the water too much. The tank has pretty good flow but I think if I were to put a vortech on the far end it would be really really really nice but I like the clean look it has going right now.

Hey Shawn, what a great LED build. I just recieved all my components from Rapidled and can't wait to get started. Couple of questions on Stevesled is there an option for or room enough to place lenses/optics on some of the led's to get better/deeper light penetration and #2 whats the noise level/decibels on those fans ???
I still need to order some of Steves Cyan 510nm led's but have been waiting on some info about his fans noise level. I did buy some Ultra Quiet 14-dba @ 32 cfm 80mm fans at Fryes for $10 ea but like the configuration of Steves fans better if not to loud.

Cheers, Todd
Hey Todd that sounds great, I can't wait to see your build! Yes these LEDs do have the option for lenses, I have not really explored that yet. According to Steve they are not necessary until after the 32" mark. In the future I may order some because I like to tinker but for now I'm still in the process of buffering the tank to bring the alka/calcium/mag up so I can bring some corals over.

The fans from StevesLEDs are really quiet. When I had it setup on the refugium strip you could hear a small "howl" (that is exaggerated) but it was from the air traveling down the tube (and was probably from the rivets). They are much quieter than most moderately flowing computer fans. I've been out of the computer modding game for a while to remember the decibel levels and such but these are quiet (I call these ones hamster cages cause of how they move but they spin slower and move more air). I actually need to order another one to use on the drivers (it would fit perfectly compared to the fan I am using now).

Back