multicolor angel

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jmac

i bought a muti color angel Wednesday and put in some mysis shrimp and did even look at it,any ideas what other type of foods, how long can that fish go without food its been 2 days

My regal didn't eat for about 2 days when I first got it either. It happens sometimes, they go on a hunger strike. I have had luck with bloodworms, formula 2 frozen, brine shrimp, krill. As a last resort clams in the shell seem to work, tangs love them too. Just keep trying!

Did you put this angelfish in a QT tank? If so, it'll be much easier to get it to eat, without stress from other tank mates. It may take it a couple of days, to feel comfortable enough to eat. That isn't uncommon.

This fish needs a varied diet, including types of algae, as well as "meaty" foods. I'd suggest trying frozen Formula 1 AND Forumula 2. I'd also try some Nori or other algae products.

Ideally, the fish is in a QT where you can train it to eat. Some of these Angelfishes (in the wild) focus on a particular type of food which we cannot duplicate in captivity. Those fish often don't acclimate very well. BUT the advantage to having the fish in a QT is that training it can be easy. A fish hiding in the display is likely to perish, unless you have dither fish or other fishes which can help in the trianing.

Still, in general, it can take up to a week for an acclimated fish to begin to eat. If the fish was well fed prior to you receiving it, it should be fine for the next couple of weeks without eating.

These posts will help give you ideas:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f15/my-new-fish-wont-eat-tips-36331/

Determine if this fish is omnivore or carnivore:
Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition
How to Feed Macro Algae to Marine Fishes
Different Marine Fish Food Forms

Back