My 270g Progression Journal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hey roscoe, what did you used to attach your corals to the rocks?

I just spit on the corals and attatch them to the rocks LOL. No really I use BSI gel super glue. There are other brands out there but this is my favorite. You can hit up the dollar store and buy some gel super glue there. that is what I get when I run out of BSI.

Wow! very nice set up. Did you change some rock work? I like the space in the between and it also allows more flow. Imagine all those corals was in the 40. They must be very happy now. Good job Sarang!

Thank you Sir!!! Not as nice as yours:D. I did reaquascape. I took out about 30-40lbs of rock and made 2 caves one on the left with like a cliff over hang and I left it with a canyon running through the middle. I thought it would look cool to have the frags grow off from the over hang and between the canyon. I like the aquascape now but after looking at it again and again I could've taken more rock out. Oh well too late now the corals are in place. I can't wait until my corals are the size of yours!

Thank you Sir!!! Not as nice as yours:D. I did reaquascape. I took out about 30-40lbs of rock and made 2 caves one on the left with like a cliff over hang and I left it with a canyon running through the middle. I thought it would look cool to have the frags grow off from the over hang and between the canyon. I like the aquascape now but after looking at it again and again I could've taken more rock out. Oh well too late now the corals are in place. I can't wait until my corals are the size of yours!

The caynon setup is a great idea because coral will look so cool growing side way then upward. Hey, With your experience, corals will fill up the pace in no time. Unless you keep cutting them :lol::D

Yeah I'm not planning to cut anything else anytime soon. I do have duplicates of things that I am fragging off but have the main colony for growing out. Yeah The canyon is a good place to mount corals that don't demand too much light such as the lokanis and other deep water corals. I also have a good 6''+ behind the rockwork from the glass where I can grow out tableing types of SPS. Only one rock is touching the glass in the back. Only becase I had too.

Looking REALLY sweet bro! I LOVE all the tangs you've got going on. In no time you'll have one kick ass coral display. Happy to see you went for it instead of selling it.

Looking REALLY sweet bro! I LOVE all the tangs you've got going on. In no time you'll have one kick ass coral display. Happy to see you went for it instead of selling it.

Thanks Willie... The tangs are pretty neat to watch. The chevron is a total PIG!!! It was the same size as the PBT when they went into the 270 and now it is a good 1''-1.5'' bigger than the PBT. How is your tank doing?

Very nice tank Sarang ! I hope mine looks as nice when I get it setup. I like that ponape birdsnest...that's going in my tank for sure. What type of bulbs and ballasts are you using again ?

Very nice tank Sarang ! I hope mine looks as nice when I get it setup. I like that ponape birdsnest...that's going in my tank for sure. What type of bulbs and ballasts are you using again ?

Thanks Jim. The PBN is nice. I am running dual 250w CV ballast with CV 20K bulbs and IC 400w in the center with 12k reeflux.

That's just beautiful! Love the corals and the fish are stunning! That powder blue is awseome! Can't wait to see it grow!!

Are you using the coralvue dimmable ballast ? I was thinking of going with the 12k reeflux bulbs also. I'm also thinking of going with T5's or led's for supplementation. 70x flow ? Wow that's crazy. How do deal with sand blowing all over the place ? Do you have to physically move it daily ? Does it get on your corals on the bottom ?

Wow Sarang that is absolutely gorgeous already, this tank always had one of my favorite scapes. Can't wait to see it grow out!

Thanks... I had to change up the aquascape a bit from the origanl. I liked that look but I think I like this much better. I took out about 40lbs and have 2 caves now and a canyon runnig down the middle breaking the 2 caves apart. I can't wait for the corals to grow out from the overhangs. It is going to look rather :cool:.

That's just beautiful! Love the corals and the fish are stunning! That powder blue is awseome! Can't wait to see it grow!!

Me too I can't wait for it to grow out either!

Are you using the coralvue dimmable ballast ? I was thinking of going with the 12k reeflux bulbs also. I'm also thinking of going with T5's or led's for supplementation. 70x flow ? Wow that's crazy. How do deal with sand blowing all over the place ? Do you have to physically move it daily ? Does it get on your corals on the bottom ?

No I am using thier electronic ballast. I havn't figured out what to do with supplement lighting yet. I gotta figure out something that will keep my canopy clean looking. Yeah 70x but down too about 59x now since I removed one of the vortechs. The sand just moves around in the front of the tank. In the 2 pics that is about as far as the sand blows. I don't bother raking the sand back as i don't mind the look of it. I am more of a BB guy anyhow so the beach look is cool with me.

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4074.jpg

I was thinking of going the Steve Weast route of treating the tank as a bb, but with just a couple of bags going down the canyon. I will most likely go with a larger grain of sand for the display and use aragonite for dsb in the fuge.

I was thinking of going the Steve Weast route of treating the tank as a bb, but with just a couple of bags going down the canyon. I will most likely go with a larger grain of sand for the display and use aragonite for dsb in the fuge.

You can't really tell but the sand is mostly in the middle of the tank legnth wise. There is no sand about 6-8'' from the back of the tank. I have a Tunze that keeps the whole back side clear of sand. I think i put only about 80lbs of sand in the tank.

Back