My 300 Gallon sps tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

:frusty::frusty:

Oh that is great news about the hard drive.

Sorry to hear that Michael, I guess it is time to invest in a raft full of flash drives huh. I have them backed up on one of them too, not the originals, but the resized versions.

We got off track??? That is why this thread is not in the regular forums, we can get off track as much as we care to, if someone don't like it, they can leave................................lol JMHO

That is about it for pics until Saturday I think, and those will hopefully get posted in the meeting thread.

:focus:

Lookie what I did today:becky::becky:

I know, I know, some of you said it couldn't be done, but it has been accomplished.

IMG_7695.jpg

IMG_7693.jpg

The BRS pump does 50ml per minute. I am gonna run it 6 times a day for an hour at a time. This all adds up to close to 5 gallons per day of RO/DI top off. Along with my kalk drip I should be able to keep the water level in the sump fairly consistent, which in turn should (?) help the performance of my Barr Aquatic skimmer, which really seems to be dependent on water level for optimum performance. Anybody got any thoughts on that???

Looks like it should work....how much do you evaporate a day with your system? I was just trying to remember your water change schedule...something like 25 gallons every 5 days? Have you ever seen an automated way to do that; 2, matched pumps on a timer, one removing waste water from your sump, one replacing with new mixed salt water? that would be a help also, I would think.

Hey, this is gonna be enuf automation for this kid for right now Michael. You keep hearing horror stories about ato switches, so I think I am gonna stay this way for a while. I trust the pump and the timer I have it on. We will see how this works and go on from there.
My evaporation has stayed the same for the 7 years this tank has been up, even during the summertime. If it does vary, I can adjust, (manually), the kalk drip to increase at that time. I am thinking that if this does well, I am gonna purchase another BRS pump and do the same with the kalk.

Looks like it should work....how much do you evaporate a day with your system? I was just trying to remember your water change schedule...something like 25 gallons every 5 days? Have you ever seen an automated way to do that; 2, matched pumps on a timer, one removing waste water from your sump, one replacing with new mixed salt water? that would be a help also, I would think.

Hey Kevin.
I change 30 gallons a week on Sundays, I will continue to do that manually also my friend, you know me :):). I evaporate about 5-6 gallons a day, winter, summer, spring, and fall. I am going to look into a digital timer for this pump, but the last time I looked, they are pretty damn expensive for a good one.

I know you are somewhat of a technophobe...so why do you work at the phone company (speaking of lots of wires & electricity & new technology...or do you just get your fill of it there on a daily basis? ;) ) I found a very interesting web site for one person's largish aquarium setup:
Glass Reef - Home

This guy appears to be very precise in how he's gone about everything (it looks like to me!). Under his projects for the aquarium & fish room he has a suppliment station project:
Glass Reef - Projects - Supplement Station
where he uses some Woods Model 59377 digital timers that he got from Amazon (use his link on the page above the comments section, it will take you right to the timers). They ARE battery backup timers (you asked me about that in December when we briefly talked about the dosing pump idea)

I dunno about expensive, but $16.65 sounds pretty good to me. Just another thought :idea: .

Don't ask me Kevin.........................................lol. I have just heard to many horror stories about ATO and what goes on with them that, frankly, it scares the crap outta me and what it could do to seven years of blood, sweat and tears, know where I am coming from???
I will definitely look into those timers, I think I have seen them locally in fact, I just can't remember where?????
I like the battery backup idea too, but then you gotta remember to make sure the batteries backup is good to go :):).
We will definitely talk more Saturday Kevin, this looks to be a good meeting, but that is just my humble opinion.

Don't ask me Kevin.........................................lol. I have just heard to many horror stories about ATO and what goes on with them that, frankly, it scares the crap outta me and what it could do to seven years of blood, sweat and tears, know where I am coming from???
I only have 2-1/2 years experience, but I do have an idea of where you're coming from. Automation is great except when is it not (as in what ever malfunction you can dream up) and then it sucks totally...like backing up pics on the hard drive & then it croaks, or Sid's Ca reactor & the CO2 malfunctions or...or...how much is too much?

I will definitely look into those timers, I think I have seen them locally in fact, I just can't remember where?????
I like the battery backup idea too, but then you gotta remember to make sure the batteries backup is good to go :):).
We will definitely talk more Saturday Kevin, this looks to be a good meeting, but that is just my humble opinion.

I read further on Amazon & these timers have a 50:50 like:hate 'em customer review section. I commented on the GlassReef.com & asked him his personal experience with the timers. Maybe there are other timers like these available.

I think it'll be a GREAT meeting on Saturday! Lots to talk about & visit with folks.

I am sure those timers are like anything else on this green earth. I am interested to see what his comments will be if you get a response.

As far as the meeting goes, it looks as tho I will be adding to my outside refrigerator tomorrow and Thursday, so we will be sure that the beer remains at the proper sipping temp :):)

Back