My 450 gallon Ultra Deep Dimension

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zachrabbit15

Hello fellow reefers, starting this thread to track my new adventure. Another fellow reefer here in the Pacific Northwest passed the info on to me about this tank. Was too small for him, really his words!! I ended up trading my current 240 for it with the stipulation that I had to have the 400 up before I could let the 240 go. Will be picking the tank up tomorrow 5/21/16 and starting the stand this week. Picking two acrylic tanks next weekend to mod for sump and refugium. Tank will be viewable from 3 sides!!

So here is the equipment list:
Tank custom 72x60x24 3/4" glass tank
Steel stand with marine grade plywood beauty panel covers in white formica
Aluminium light rack with matching beauty panels suspended from ceiling
8- Modded Reef Radiance Prostar 165watt LEDs
2- Modded Toetronic 165w LED for frag area
2- Finnex Planted+ LED for refugium
72x18x18 acrylic sump/Frag tank
60x18x18 Acrylic refugium
2- Reeflo Superreef Dart Golds; 1 driving a closed loop, 2nd split running return and driving skimmer
MRC MR2 Beckett skimmer with two Becketts
Geo 818 Calcium reactor with Carbon Doser regulator
Modded K2 calcium reactor, now used for GFO/Carbon
2 Maxspect Gyre 150s
Jebao RW15 in frag area
Jebao RW8 in refugium
150lbs of Aquacultured Gulf live rock (current tank)
150lbs of Marco/base rock

Will get pics started tomorrow!!
Thanks for looking and will keep this updated as the build up progress over the next month.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Yeah not the biggest tank, but a lot of square footage!!

Here she is!! Did a quick wipe down with vinegar water. 3/4" low iron glass, Euro bracing with reinforced bottom seams. The wine bottle is what I gave my wife before I left to go pick it up :)

Next up will be getting steel ordered for the stand.

This is one of the things I've always wanted to do. A walk around cube in the middle of my living room.
Looks like 4 holes, one each corner? Are you going to put overflowes on them?

There are 4 holes, two holes for 1.5s bulkheads and 2 1". Will use them for a closed loop. Will drill 3 new holes for the overflow/return. Just deciding where I want to put it.

Sorry kinda slow on updates, been under the weather. Ended up going with a wood stand due to cost and limited time. Will be going by Lowes tonight to pick up Oak plywood and some trim bits. Sump and refugium changed also. The 100 was built out of thin material and has too much now to allow for a flush fit and the tank that was going to be the sump is too nice to use for that purpose. So that tank will become the refugium and a old glad 75 will become the sump. Was looking for glass to build the bagel and lo and behold came across a bunch of .200 thick glass for free!! Hopefully can get started on the sump tonight.

image.jpg

very nice looking tank have you tested the stand yet for the weight capacity remember its going to be at min 4500 lbs

Actually closer to 6000lbs, I had two structural engineers help me with the stands design. It would be good up to closer to 10000lbs. The fun part is the house flooring. That's the bigger task!!

Where would someone get 4500 pounds with which to test? The average bottle of beer weighs about a 1 pound... :)

Looks like 2x10's (or at least 2x8's) with wood to the floor, with no shear pressure on the joints. I'd be more worried about the floor where its going to sit.

What is really amazing is how can silicone & glass hold all that weight LOL
I mean have you ever just puller silicone and watch it tear apart, it isn't really that strong but it is right? :noidea:

Back