Time for another one... Custom 300 Gallon setup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What type of corals are they? Some will eat out of the water column. Some will eat foods such as SPS Grow, Coral Frenzie, Frozen Cyclopese. Some will want more meaty foods. Some need to be target feed. You can target feed some coral, meaty foods just like you feed the fish, with a turkey baster. I think someone makes a long tube, like a turkey baster, that is specifically made for target feeding coral.

These are not as long as I thought they were, but this is what I was thinking about. Coral & Invertebrate Feeders: H20 Life Coral Feeder II

these are all LPS, thats what i was looking for really. I cant find one long enough though. Rather not have to put my arm in the tank to feed everytime. lol

Just a few terrible pictures lol...

DSC_0460.jpg

DSC_0459.jpg

DSC_0457.jpg

DSC_0427.jpg

DSC_0437.jpg

Finaly got coral in here cant wait to add fish soon. Like i said sorry for the crappy pics, not used to shooting under LED's.

Thank you! Over the snow storm i lost power for 8 days, only lost 4 colonies though. Had to transfer everything to styro boxes and heat packs. Everythign is back on track and I will post new pics soon.

Sweet tank so far i like the rockwork!

i'm looking forward to the progress and growth of your tank ;)

p.s. ur pm box is full!

Thanks Chris!

Just got a bunch of fish and coral today pics will follow shortly :)

Thanks guys! I get them from a bunch of different online stores and local LFS.

How do most people wash their filter socks? My water is cloudy after adding a bunch of corals and fish yesterday and hasnt cleared up much, wanting to put that back in to help some for a few days. Any other ideas?

Also i was looking close at my tank walls and i'm seeing a TON of tinnnyyy white what appear to be copepods, just want to make sure its nothing bad?! not sure how to describe them really though

Also, im starting to worry about flow with just the 2 MP40's on either side of the peninsula, I might either need to take all the sand out in order to ramp them up to full or add another source of flow... :( not wanting to do either though haha

They could be hydriods.. If they look like little anemones. Its a common thing to see the first couple months. I just run my filtersocks on hot throught the washer inside out.

They could be hydriods.. If they look like little anemones. Its a common thing to see the first couple months. I just run my filtersocks on hot throught the washer inside out.

They look like copepods or tiger pods. Very small though. On the filter socks, does the soap that could be left in the washer pose a potential issue?

I am not sure of the soap issue. I run mine twice when I wash them. Hmm theres probably nothing to worry about if they are some sort of pod.

good to know, ill throw it in the wash today, needs it really bad lol Thank you for the help bTW!

Everything has been doing well, I had one fish die the other day for unknown reasons. However starting a couple weeks ago there has been a small film of algae coving the rocks slowly, any ideas what could cause this. ive ran tests and everything other than my mag (being 1200) was in check. I haven't tested for PO4 though which i will later tonight. Any recommendation on how to kill this stuff before it gets out of hand?

I would say thats just part of the bio process. You did start with mostly dry rock right? I did the same and have had to battle film, cyano, and hair algae with reduced photoperiods, gfo, carbon and heavier water changes. As soon as my tank hit 3 months 90% went away and I'm getting some pretty explosive coralline growth out competing with whats left. Im back on the usual maintenance schedule now with no issues and have 8 fish in my 70g almost fully stocked with coral now. Just be patient and let your rock mature, maybe not add anymore fish for awhile.

Back