My 72 Gallon Bowfront Reef Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, here is camera phone picture.

It isn't easy taking of picture of this guy...

anemone.jpg

Cool, I like it. What lights was the BTA under with the previous owner?

I actually picked it up from the Petco down by the Tacoma mall....RF gave the place such a good review I had to check it out, and then I picked this guy up.

And I think each tank has 2 t5s. Either way this tank is 4 t12s....soon to be replaced by 2-4 t5s with 2x250 or 2x175 MH. This one guy built me a temporary hood for my tank, but I think he must've though I said 75 gallon, because it is 3" too wide for my tank. Either way, I have decided to build my own canopy for the tank for now.

Great day in the life of reefing...

Well, lets start off with I got 2 tanks for free. Time to properly setup to QT tank. :lol:

And I happened to also find an amazing deal on a light fixture, with 2x250 MH, 2 65w PC, and moonlights. And my original plan was to upgrade my VHO t-12 lighting to t-5 :lol: ....this makes me pretty happy.

So first of all, I have never actually seen working moonlights. They are simply AMAZING. I literally never read anywhere that zoas glow under moonlights...I would assume other corals do to? :lol:

So my brother is nagging me to get off, so thats all for now. :lol:

Doin' things right - Post #600

Well, here is the info part of my update...didn't mean for 2 posts in one day but oh well :p

So first off, I just got a lighting fixture for the tank I am extremely excited to get hooked up. 630 watts of lighting, leading to 8.75 watts per gallon. 2x250 MH, 2x65 PC, and 12 moonlights :D

Current Livestock inventory:

1 Maroon Clownfish
1 BTA
2 Engineer Gobies
1 Blue Tang
1 Yellow Damsel (used him to cycle a nano I gave away, didn't know what to do with him)
1 Camel Shrimp
1 Snowflake Moray Eel

27 or so frags of zoas (I could list them all if anyone is interested)
Blue Clove
Other misc corals I am forgetting.

Equipment: 72 Gallon tank, 15 gallon sump (plan to upgrade to a 29 or so gallon)
Lights: 2x250 MH, 2x65 PC, 12 Lunar LEDS
1 300w (I think) heater
1 Eshopps PSK-100h Skimmer
Timer

Plus all the usual stuff (pumps, HOB overflow, aqualifter, etc)

As my lights are off right now, I don't have any pictures. Tomorrow I will add pictures with the new light! :D:D:D

Thanks RF!;)

Picture Update

Short and simple, here are some pictures...

Some of these are before the MH were added, some of them are after the MH were added.

Green Zoa
frag.jpg

Anemone (older pic)
IMGA0384.jpg

IMGA0397.jpg

Blue Clove
IMGA0402.jpg

Goby (older pic...they are currently quarantined)
IMGA0406.jpg

THEN MH ARE ADDED

Magician Paly
IMGA0409.jpg

Dragon Eyes + Radioactive Dragon Eyes
IMGA0411.jpg

Bright Nuke Greens!
IMGA0412.jpg

Watermellons
IMGA0414.jpg

Bam Bams
IMGA0416.jpg

More in the next post

Last edited:
I've enjoyed reading your thread. You sound like an addict. You mentioned Petco - I've been to the Oly Petco a few times and have been really impressed. I'm hoping to come across and enemone such as yours. Very pretty.

P.S. The police will always take their sweet time responding in Tacompton! :p

I've enjoyed reading your thread. You sound like an addict. You mentioned Petco - I've been to the Oly Petco a few times and have been really impressed. I'm hoping to come across and enemone such as yours. Very pretty.

P.S. The police will always take their sweet time responding in Tacompton! :p

Thanks! :D

To further my battle against algae, I have done two things:
1) Got a phosphate reactor. I still have to get media for it however...
2) RO/DI Water maker! (Thanks Chingon!)

So here it is! I am going to set it up next to the washer most likely...I will run out to the Hardware store tomorrow to get the parts I need.

ro.jpg

^ Best thing you could have ever bought.

Next you need a 30 gallon water bin for mixing water, and a refractometer to measure your salt levels, along with a heater to heat the water before adding the salt. Doing water changes this way, i have found to be the most convenient and stable way to do it. I just bought a rodi system and it was the best choice I ever made :D I didn't really calculate the money on water i'd be spending on the machines until i got it.

Good luck, Its looking good.

Thanks! :D

So here it is! I am going to set it up next to the washer most likely...I will run out to the Hardware store tomorrow to get the parts I need.

ro.jpg

hmmmm those nectarines are yummy:D
good job josh!sorry i didnt get to see u...
thanks for the ballast!

ro.jpg
[/QUOTE]

hey thank you too man, i'm glad you are happy. ballast and bulbs work great.:)

ro.jpg

hey thank you too man, i'm glad you are happy. ballast and bulbs work great.:)[/QUOTE]

Thank you! It really took care of the Red Slime algae, and its great not having to run out to Fred Meyer or my LFS all the time to get water ;)

hmmmm those nectarines are yummy:D
good job josh!sorry i didnt get to see u...
thanks for the ballast!

Wood tangerines....yummmmm :)

Well, today I spent some money on some stuff...got the phosphate reactor up and running. Also messed around with the light under the tank, for the sump; I got that more in so it would be much less likely to fall into the water.

So the phosphate reactor is running with carbon and phosguard. Ha! Algae 0, Josiah 1!

Annnnnd here is the setup:
phospatereactor.jpg

Speaking of which, has anyone noticed my username on photobucket? Hahaha just wondering

Alright, just got $250 worth of corals shipped to me. I just realized I forgot to take a picture of the Purple Blastos...Oh well, next time.

So here we go...

Acans - Dont know what type
IMG_3627.jpg

Fungia
IMG_3629.jpg

Rainbow Acans
IMG_3630.jpg

Bad Picture of Deepwater LA Lakers....went from 3 polyps to 10 in like a month :D (Valentine Acans 40+ Heads in back)
IMG_3632.jpg

Ultra Red & Blue Acans
IMG_3633.jpg

4 New corals frags/mini colonies
IMG_3634.jpg

Snake Eyes, Fungia, Bam Bam's....which didn't open fully until today
IMG_3635.jpg

How some zoas are progressing...
IMG_3636.jpg

Blue Clove, Radioactive Dragon Eyes, Dragon Eyes
IMG_3637.jpg

Watermelons [Notice the baby polyps :)]