My 90G starphire/rimless cube build thread

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Here is an update from the weekend. I was able to finish up with the rock work. Everything is epoxied, sanded, and ready to go. I just have to add a little bit more foam by one of the Vortech covers and I should be ready to roll. I think I'll add a dab of aquarium silicon to the corners of each wall to help keep everything in place. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out overall.

IMG_6210-Edit.jpg

IMG_6211-Edit.jpg

Here was the start of the rock work. All of the rocks are drilled with a 3/8" masonry bit and held together with an acrylic rod, and then foamed in place. The whole rock structure breaks down into four large pieces.

IMG_6208-Edit.jpg

Here are the rocks in the tank. I wanted to do a test fit before Saturday as that is the break-down day and I don't want to leave anything to chance.

Top-down:
IMG_6212-Edit.jpg

Front:
IMG_6213-Edit.jpg

I will be transferring 4-5 rocks from my current display to help seed everything. There should be plenty of room to fill it in a little bit. I have a friend coming over today or tomorrow to help me get the tank up onto the stand and I'll get the plumbing all worked out. I drilled an AGA 5.5G for the fuge and I'm gluing my baffles into the 20L right now. Getting close!

Looks really nice! What type of glue did you use to glue the sand into the foam?

I used some 30 minute slow-cure 2-part epoxy from Bob Smith Industries. It can be found any many types of hobby shops (I hit up Hobby Town USA in Redmond). You can also toss sand into the wet foam and it will stick just fine. I actually should have done that more to begin with as the epoxy was pretty difficult to work with since it was so thick.

Rick that looks great,, i like the new generation reef designed,,reef aquascape,,cheap and preety:D
Thanks Dang. I can't wait to see your new setup as well. Hopefully I can swing by soon and grab some more SPS frags :)

It looks like I'll be moving forward and making the transfer on Saturday afternoon. I just finished up the plumbing and gave it a fresh-water leak test. I have the output nozzles dumping right back into the overflow box as I didn't want to waste 90G of water, I was more concerned about my PVC not leaking, I'm sure the tank is just fine. I came across a thread on RC about a "silent" overflow and figured this would be the perfect time to give the "Herbie" method a shot. For those who don't know, here is a quick run down. The white standpipe with all of the holes is the main drain that is hooked through a gate valve. The gate valve is adjusted to limit the amount of water that enters the sump, which is generally a big no no. Since the water level is above where the water enters the pipe, no air enters into the piping meaning it is COMPLETELY silent (basically a siphon drain). I was running the Mag 9 wide open and I could only tell it was on because of the light hum from the pump. The second drain is the emergency/backup drain in case the first one gets clogged or the flow rate changes. The second pipe is a basis durso standpipe and can handle the full flow from the return and typical of a durso, silent drawing the water from the tank and loud once all of the bubbles hit the sump. One the pump is turned on, the drain fills with water/air (making noise, and the water level slowly raises until it is silent. So far I am very impressed at how quiet it is.

IMG_6214-Edit.jpg

IMG_6215-Edit.jpg

The only problem that I ran into was the plumbing to the 5G fuge. It was drawing air from that 1" PVC from the fuge and causing noise for the main drain. I think I'll just cut that line out and cap it near the 1.5" pipe and feed the fuge with a MJ400 or something from the sump. The less variables and changes in flow rate for the 1.5" overflow the better/more stable it will be.

IMG_6218-Edit.jpg

I also picked up one of these power strips from Musicians Friend. I bought two but I only think I'll be using one. I may need just a few more outlets (my AC Jr also has eight) and I don't to install another one of these panels for just an outlet or two that I'll probably never need to switch off (like the fuge light, etc).

IMG_6220-Edit.jpg

I have all of the dry rock in a 30G trashcan with a heater, salt, skimmer, and a few PH's. Hopefully that will help clean up the rock so there will be less impact once I make the transfer. Just a few more things to finish up on the stand and then I'll silicon the rock panels in place and start getting everything else ready for Saturday.

I think you will be happy with the herbie. I'm running 3000gph through 1.5" and its silent with no pesky bubbles in the sump.

Don

I think you will be happy with the herbie. I'm running 3000gph through 1.5" and its silent with no pesky bubbles in the sump.

Don

I couldn't believe how quite it is, I wish I did this years ago on my current tank (though I've never had two drains before). Do you have to make many adjustments to your gate/ball value to adjust the water level? I've been reading that it may need some adjustments in the beginning until all of the pipes slime over and such.

I couldn't believe how quite it is, I wish I did this years ago on my current tank (though I've never had two drains before). Do you have to make many adjustments to your gate/ball value to adjust the water level? I've been reading that it may need some adjustments in the beginning until all of the pipes slime over and such.

Nope but you do need a fairly constant sump level. The depth of the pipe under the water in the sump affects the flow. Of course an ato handles this for you.

Don

The output from the Herbie is in the baffled portion of the sump so that will never change. I have an ATO that will keep the return pump section constant so it sounds like I should be good to go.

Rick,

Tank is looking great! Man you are moving right along with it wish mine was going this fast. You will love the Herbie drain as it is the quietist around and will work great for you.

Let us know how you like that Warner Marine Skimmer. I am looking for a new Skimmer for my future set up. Not sure what to go with. It's between WM, MSX, or Octo pro. Or if anyone else has suggestions.

Rick,

Tank is looking great! Man you are moving right along with it wish mine was going this fast. You will love the Herbie drain as it is the quietist around and will work great for you.

Thanks Scott. Joel recommened the Herbie as well, I'm glad I went with two drains so I could make it happen. Did you end up with an Elos?

Let us know how you like that Warner Marine Skimmer. I am looking for a new Skimmer for my future set up. Not sure what to go with. It's between WM, MSX, or Octo pro. Or if anyone else has suggestions.

I ran the skimmer for a little while in the sump just to break it in a little bit. The bubble production was impressive and it was also dead quite which is important to me. I considered the MSX/Octo Extreme but I didn't hear anything great about the customer service and the Sicce isn't the best pump around. The Octo Pro 300 would have been my next choice but I don't think I needed a pump that pulled 1600 lph (though I do have an extra impeller to mesh and try on the WM). I thought the WM was a great skimmer given performance, build quality, and customer service.

I also will get the rest of my Vortech equipment on Wednesday, another MP40W and battery backup. I have to say that EcoTech was EXTREMELY great to work with. I was able to work a deal to make a few instructional videos in trade for all of the Vortech equipment. That saved me a cool grand :) Now back to making more water for tomorrow.

Hi,
I believe I have a Sicce pump on my BM. I am pretty sure. The first pump I had would not go back on after I turned the skimmer on. The mesh was fine I believe it was just a bad pump. Sometimes I am having the same trouble with the pump I have now. Nothing is wrong with the mesh. It's very frustrating. I'd like a skimmer that I could just plug and play. The only thing about the WM skimmer is that it's so much more expensive. =( It would take me a very long time to save. I can do it though, if you believe it's worth it. I just want a plug and play skimmer. Something that is extremely quiet as well. That is one of the most important things as well as skimming excellent.

I ran the skimmer for a little while in the sump just to break it in a little bit. The bubble production was impressive and it was also dead quite which is important to me. I considered the MSX/Octo Extreme but I didn't hear anything great about the customer service and the Sicce isn't the best pump around. The Octo Pro 300 would have been my next choice but I don't think I needed a pump that pulled 1600 lph (though I do have an extra impeller to mesh and try on the WM). I thought the WM was a great skimmer given performance, build quality, and customer service.

I also will get the rest of my Vortech equipment on Wednesday, another MP40W and battery backup. I have to say that EcoTech was EXTREMELY great to work with. I was able to work a deal to make a few instructional videos in trade for all of the Vortech equipment. That saved me a cool grand :) Now back to making more water for tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I believe all Bubble Master skimmers use Sicce pumps. I also wanted something that was plug and play, I didn't want any of the startup issues that people were experiencing associated from the mesh with the MSX/Octo Extreme. I still plan to try mesh on the WM just to see how well it performs but the pinwheel performance was most important to me. Jon says he got 1500 lph meshed with no startup issues, we'll see how well I can do it. I contacted Jon directly and purchased the skimmer through him. He sent it out the same day and it came packed extremely well. I would opt for an air silencer as well since you can hear the rush of air being sucked into the pump, the silencer works very well.

Back