My 90gallon Build!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So then you are saying that you are not going to reconfigure your 55 sump?

May be it would be a good idea if you sat down (with no distractions) and took 20min. and read your entire Thread. Then do it again.

It will have the overflow drop into the chamber on the left (which also hold my skimmer), then 3 baffles to the refugium area, then a single baffle to my return area. Here's that my current 20l sump looks like. This is just the way I learned how to set up a sump. quote from something fishy

kpiotrowski
Blenny

Yes exactly, you want skim the water as soon as it comes out of the DT.

Just curious on how many houses you have framed?????
Everybodys home is not built different in many many ways. There are codes that builders need to abide by. The joist that starts in the corner of a second floor framing system is 16'' away from the rim joist that is buried under the wall. So the joist that are in the center of the load bearing wall Will carry the same load as the joist running parallel to the load bearing wall.
Dude I was building homes before your Mom and Dad decided to start a family. I would be glad to hear about your 3 point theory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never seen a reply to this post??

There was a no effecient way to run the two Sumps without a disaster or a fail system!!! And why would you say my setup is insuficient I need to kno so if it makes sense I can correct and move on to the next of your worries about my setup??? Please go on???? :) QUOTE BY YOU
There has been more than two different ways give to you to run two sumps together

skimmer "skims it pushes water out which was skimmed and, "if I was going to put this skimmer in the first chamber" which god forbid everyone does, it would clean that water too good to where in the next chamber my pods or Bact. May not get enough food and dye off causing my system to crash???? QUOTE BY YOU
There is a reason why EVERYBODY does it this way

WHY" I'm doing this "the opposite way", so in my first baffle It will drain into a sock then to my Chato/calurpa then under and over to the center chamber where all my coral pieces and porous live rock sit then down and under to the last chamber where my skimmer will Skim, then back into the system!! I put the skimmer on the end in this build because I thought that if I put the skimmer in the first chamber it will skim tooo much "Good" nutrients that my plants,rock,and livestock need!! Hope that explains my setup and you understand "WHY" I experimented with this!! QUOTE BY YOU
Looks like you are saying you are more concerned about keeping your pods and macros in better health than the corals and fish in your DT??

I am going out on a limb here.
There are so many right ways to run a reef tank.
The way you are going about it, is not one of them!
easy tiger it's just an experiment that I feel will work and I'm sorry your all getting upset??? And getting kinda pushy here??? Please all I'm trying to do is make due with wat I got and I've only framed for 4-5 years so i guess you got me "ON EXPERiENCE"??? And dude if I'm making a mistake I will learn from it!! And if things go BAD for my Tank Chemistry due to my system then I will record and post to show others!! An don't get it wrong I know the write way to set up a sump "BUT" I'm trying something new!!! (U never know untill you try??) Im not disrespecting you or saying your wrong because you are write and I to believe in that system but again I won't know if I don't try it. And as for help on "MY build" I ask for people's opinions/help and tips on the way I set my system up because believe me I knew people would majorly disagree with me but I'm an experimenter and try to "I guess figure out other ways"! In hopes to evolve Reefing for the People who join us!! So thanks Peppie your opinions are greatly appreciated

There is nothing wrong with trying something different. But if it involves the possibility of losing life.......
Do what you must.
Good Luck
I'm Done.

But honestly if I need some frame work on my home would you be willing to work??? LoL minus well if you say your good at framing!! So I wanted to build a 20*30 shop if that's something you can do pm me and we can talk more about it!!
sorry for thread change!!!

There is nothing wrong with trying something different. But if it involves the possibility of losing life.......
Do what you must.
Good Luck
I'm Done.
thanks for the luck!! And I can promise you Peppie I will record my livestock and water chemistry and post results because if my system was at a rug of crashing I would send livestock to a Buddy of mine who knows what I am trying and he to doesn't think it will work he said he gives me 2-4 months till crash but honestly I believe that it will work and my livestock will thrive!!! Again thanks for luck because I will need it if things go bad!!!

hope this link works Resource Library you said you are an "experimentor" and you "hope to evolve reefkeeeping for others". read ALL of the articles in the provided link and understand that its only the surface bro. Read them ALL. I have. and the most humbling thing I realize how little do I truly know.

But honestly if I need some frame work on my home would you be willing to work??? LoL minus well if you say your good at framing!! So I wanted to build a 20*30 shop if that's something you can do pm me and we can talk more about it!!
sorry for thread change!!!

Removed content

Last edited:
hope this link works Resource Library you said you are an "experimentor" and you "hope to evolve reefkeeeping for others". read ALL of the articles in the provided link and understand that its only the surface bro. Read them ALL. I have. and the most humbling thing I realize how little do I truly know.
Nice thanks KpTroWSki I will read it all and follow up I know our systems arent near as our oceans!!! Will start article today!! "Now"

Life reef sump - PhotoPost Classifieds

Have i got a deal for you! i have the bulkheads that connect these two together and there is a spot
for probes and the ato.

Also i actually just went thru this and was wondering are you still running that return on the end table?
the reason being if the power goes out and the water back siphons can this pump start back up again
or does it just sit there and suck air? Just a thought. could burn up your pump and stop your flow.

Life reef sump - PhotoPost Classifieds

Have i got a deal for you! i have the bulkheads that connect these two together and there is a spot
for probes and the ato.

Also i actually just went thru this and was wondering are you still running that return on the end table?
the reason being if the power goes out and the water back siphons can this pump start back up again
or does it just sit there and suck air? Just a thought. could burn up your pump and stop your flow.
Thanks for the offer on the bulkheads I got them already from Mike. And for the return on the "end table" (sorry guys its what fit perfect and it was sitting in the garage lol)!! But I got this nice CHEAP battery/GFI box outlet and its power safe to where it will not cut off power at any time even if the power goes out it will continueously pump due to the battery outlet!!! Here's a pic.
DA8F0A48-CD01-433E-AFE9-D05E1BBB8EC3-714-000000C88CF21DDD.jpg

I tested it by unplugging it and it worked perfectly it only beeped three times and light was green!!!awesome find.

So far the system is doing really "GREAT" It's been through some tough nitrates "10.0ppm" I have carbon running and today I just got a phosban 150 from MIKE and a Red Sea wavemaker got it up and it is perffff!! Here's pic.
8A7E6720-119A-491C-B218-7A2F15086EFA-714-000000CE946E7E92.jpg

For live stock the Anemone is great and bright!!
696384BE-D0E5-4FFC-A219-E97D12D73A31-714-000000D00A9E15D2.jpg

The Maroon clown is soooooo close to the nem hopefully he hosts (naturally)..
81E27362-801A-4137-B64E-F3A938633632-714-000000D0089D03DD.jpg

Trigger is real hard to take a pic o but he is doing real healthy, and I bought a NICE Xenia piece from KEVIN and he is a awesome guy and is now helping me get my system up to par.. And Kevin I know your gonna read this so I did get the phosphate reactor From Mike And media and I will install tonight (post pics later for phosphate reactor!! Here is the pic. Of the AWESOME PIECE I bought from KEVIN..
2CE25E83-07BF-4F81-80F3-BB627D86CEB9-714-000000D0065944F1.jpg

Here is the new rock work!!
8930100B-B08C-4F6B-80DB-92D948C5941C-714-000000D634229C90.jpg

Here's part of the colony I fragged only because it was hanging from the rock due to transferring.
80ECC5C6-94F5-4BD6-A14B-BF3515B9C04A-714-000000D63A320AF2.jpg

hey whats up man. i just went through you build. i wouldnt use that wavemaker pro. they will burn up your power heads because they turn off and back on. i had one years ago.

hey whats up man. i just went through you build. i wouldnt use that wavemaker pro. they will burn up your power heads because they turn off and back on. i had one years ago.
Ya I did some research on them and they do burn up pumps!!! Dang Just when I thought I had something awesome going for this 90build, I was stoke about buying It from NOMERCYMIKE!! Cheap though!!! I really want to get some mp40s though in the near future!!!

The question about the return pump is it still higher than the water level in the sump? if so this is wrong ( not a option or personal preference, just wrong!)regardless of any battery back-up. what will that battery back-up run and for how long?

The question about the return pump is it still higher than the water level in the sump? if so this is wrong ( not a option or personal preference, just wrong!)regardless of any battery back-up. what will that battery back-up run and for how long?
I am changing it today to be lower than sump water!!! Major mistake in planning on my part!! And I did observe your systems KPTROWSKI!!! Lots of things I need to change!!! All plans are in the works for changing my skimmer to the first chamber,second chamber Chato,third chamber medium size rock,fourth chamber will be all coral rubble!!! Let me know what you think about this plan of filteration,and chambers will be replaced with glass rather than cheap acrylic!!

Your anemone is bleached. It could use some little pieces of raw table shrimp. About the size of it's mouth or smaller. Every couple of days till it's color comes back. The maroons are natural hosts for bta's but are known to be a bit rough in the beginning. I would watch them because they could further stress that nem out. And a trigger will eat your nem eventually. BTAs don't have the firepower to defend against a hungry or mature trigger. I've only heard of picasso triggers with carpets but have not heard about their longterm viability or even confirmed if that's right. I like your maroon clowns. That sounds like a better design of your sump to me.

Your anemone is bleached. It could use some little pieces of raw table shrimp. About the size of it's mouth or smaller. Every couple of days till it's color comes back. The maroons are natural hosts for bta's but are known to be a bit rough in the beginning. I would watch them because they could further stress that nem out. And a trigger will eat your nem eventually. BTAs don't have the firepower to defend against a hungry or mature trigger. I've only heard of picasso triggers with carpets but have not heard about their longterm viability or even confirmed if that's right. I like your maroon clowns. That sounds like a better design of your sump to me.
Thanks for the info on my nem. I am on my way to get the plumbing parts for fixing my return and raw shrimp thanks for that I thought my nem was doing good!!! Lol and the trigger seems to hang around the nem and I only hope that the trigger doesn't eat my nem!!! (That trigger is hard to catch or else I would rehome!! Thanks for the info. I will be watching the nem and clown!!! Thanks for following an input!!!

Nice turn around on your build here, looks like everything is going in the right direction now. Hope all goes well with Sump change out and will be following along to see how all turns out.

Cheers, Todd

Back