My budding 80g saltwater tank :)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

payge

This is a link--cause im a noob--of our budding 80g saltwater fish and reef tank :)

The critters are: 1 Saddled Valentini Puffer
2x Pajama Cardinals
1 Red Scooter Blenny (i call him a rockskipper as did the store)
1 sand sifting starfish and 4 hermit crabs

http://tropicalfishgallery.com/photo-gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1763

Also there are pictures of the tank Pre-WA move of the freshwater set-up and our now almost 3yr old son :)

any ideas on other compatible fishes?? :) or rock or corals? And what lighting is good for general coral keeping?

Are you planning on keeping the puffer long term? If so, they are recommended to not be in a reef tank, as they will eat inverts, taking pieces out of larger ones, and some say they may try corals (I've seen conflicting advice with regards to the sharpnose puffers and corals :confused:). They also like to nip fins, so keeping with more aggressive tankmates may be your best bet. I did some reading on WWM, so here are some links for you to do more research on puffer compatability, until folks with Valentini puffers can post their experiences...

Toby FAQs
FAQs about Puffer Compatability
Puffers

This is a good article: Fish Dentistry: Tooth Wear and Care in Predatory Fishes

Thanks I actually read all those the day I was talked into buying the lil guy :) I think he finally got a nibble on my hermit crab as there is a hole in its shell I don't know if the crab is intact or not but thankfully it was a cheap crab lol...

I learned I had to re-evaluate my tank wants to accomodate the puffer.. IE I wanted shrimps and crabs and now I can't as the puffer will eat them :( But yes I want to keep him as long as he will live lol..hes the most adorable lil guy...my son loves to feed him his krill :)

Anyone ever purchase fresh shrimp/squid from the grocer (I guess its a seafood salad mix) for their fish? or ever feed crickets to their fish?

Thanks for the response :) Anyone have any algea controllers exp? or exp with snails??

Thanks again,
Payge

Last edited:
Anyone have any algea controllers exp? or exp with snails??
I've always used Turbo snails and Astrea snails to keep my tank clean. Mostly Astrea, because my reefs are always small- 30gal and under. Use one snail per gallon as a subjective reference. It all depends on bio-load and the amount of nutrients feeding the algae (how much actually grows). Too many snails without food will lead to them dying off. I don't like crabs because they can be a problem to invertabrates and some fish go after them. Hermits might even kill your snails to steal their shells. :mad:

Snails and inverts can be lunch for the puffer. You will have best luck trying to keep the puffer well fed, but that can lead to algae problems (esp combined with lighting for corals) with higher nutrients, so you'll have to stay on top of water quality. Keep an eye on your PJ cardinals for signs of nipping.

Val really seems to like the PJ's and the lil buggers are speedy if they think he's too close they bolt across tank..I'm very peturbed by the LFS clerk who sold me such incompatible fishes..but thats what I get when I go in not well informed and gullible lol

Back