My Coldwater Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

There are laws in place protecting the removal of natural inhabitants at the Edmonds and Alki scuba diving sites. I remember learning about those laws when I took my open water dive certificate back in 1999. Laws may have changed but unsure.

Cheers,
Alex

Dang. That tank is freaking cool. Never thought about making a cold water tank. Might be my next big project. I have an old 15g in the garage with a AquaLogic 1/4 chiller... hmmm... :)

On second thought, maybe it's something to keep in the back of my mind...I think my wife would freak out if I started a new project. :)

Yea it is a lot of fun, but be prepared to just let it sit for a while, the cycle takes 3 months lol.

So, I'd love to have one of native coldwater systems going in my classroom...I'd make the ocean trip just for it, but someone told me I wasn't allowed. I've looked all over for citations of legality and failed to find any. Classrooms are rather public, so I can't do it unless it's completely legal. Seems like it should be okay as long as nothing in there is 'endangered' but do any of you know for sure?

Collection laws are linked below.... scroll towards the bottom of the page for things we're mostly interested in.....and stay out of reserves or state parks. You could also get an educational permit which would allow more access ( a few teachers here in Oregon have done that).

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/shelfish/crabreg/otherspeciesregs.shtml

Awesome tank!

I've always wanted to do a PNW coldwater tank myself, but always thought it was illegel to collect for some reason. Must not be.

Collection laws are linked below.... scroll towards the bottom of the page for things we're mostly interested in.....and stay out of reserves or state parks. You could also get an educational permit which would allow more access ( a few teachers here in Oregon have done that).

Thanks for that link! I always thought it was illegal to collect from our waters, but I guess not.

Do you know if there are any laws regarding tidal/shore fish as well?

Thanks for the link! I am glad you posted here, my tank is coming along since the last time you have seen it. Thanks again for the help when I was starting out!

Your tank is REALLY cool!! Any new pics? Now I'm tempted to get a cold tank and take a little piece of home with me when I move to NC... Keep up the good work!!

Thanks!

And yup, new pics :) Look at my macro growth!
attempt7.jpg

attempturchin.jpg

IMG_6636.jpg

IMG_6637.jpg

IMG_6638.jpg

IMG_6639.jpg

IMG_6640.jpg

IMG_6641.jpg

IMG_6642.jpg

IMG_6643.jpg

IMG_6644.jpg

I don't know actually. It like everything else was collected in the sound but I don't know what it is. It does grow pretty dang fast though!

Heres the worm I was talking about earlier. I should look it up, it can swim around or crawl. It does both very quickly. It seems to eat leftover food, and they are multiplying.

IMG_7944.jpg

IMG_7945.jpg

I dunno if it is on there lol.

I already found it what it is though, it grows to 36" and is a scavenger!

Looks just like when I go diving! Nice representation. Is the water really that much warmer in the San Juans? The sound is usually +/- a few degrees off of 45F IIRC

I seriously have some pics from diving that look very similar to your shots =D

Cool thank you! Well I collect from Shaw Island which is pretty sheltered. I thought the temps in the sound were about 55 all over....

Back