My First Clam!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey Sid, I picked my first clam (crocea) on Friday. He has fallen off the LR perch I put 'him' on a couple of times. I am not sure if he doesn't like the spot or it is just my carelessness in placing him. I am also wondering about flow. He is getting a pretty good blast from the side but he is opened up all the way. I wonder if the flow is hard on the flesh?

Hi Mark,
Well from all the research I've been doing lately and from talking to Kevin at Aquatic Dreams and Barry at Clams Direct, clams don't like a lot of flow. It's okay if their mantle flutters a little now and then but if it's constantly in motion or being blown straight up, it's too much flow. Might be why it's not staying where you put it. Is there anyway to find a different spot for it or maybe move some rocks around to kind of shield that area from flow?
I think a Crocea will be my next clam as well. However, because I'm running T5 lighting, I'll need to put the Crocea higher in the tank. I'll have to do some thinking about flow issues before I attempt that though.

Yeah I am going to move it tonight a little higher on the tank and somewhere with lower flow. That shouldn't be hard because my CL returns all come up from the bottom.

Hi Mark,
Well from all the research I've been doing lately and from talking to Kevin at Aquatic Dreams and Barry at Clams Direct, clams don't like a lot of flow. It's okay if their mantle flutters a little now and then but if it's constantly in motion or being blown straight up, it's too much flow. Might be why it's not staying where you put it. Is there anyway to find a different spot for it or maybe move some rocks around to kind of shield that area from flow?
I think a Crocea will be my next clam as well. However, because I'm running T5 lighting, I'll need to put the Crocea higher in the tank. I'll have to do some thinking about flow issues before I attempt that though.
i agreewith you about the flow, also make sure there is nothing blocking it from the light, light plays a big part in the color of the clam if something is blocking it you will get some localized bleaching

Hey Dragoneggs. My Crocea was doing the same thing. He also ended up losing color and releasing Zoo. Did you acclimate him to your light properly? Or just plop him right under an MH light? I got mine from Kevin also. He had them under 400w Mh lights. I think they might have come from a lower lit tank. Once it hit those 400w Mh's, they lost all color. Mine was under a 150w MH. Kevin told me to place him a little under the MH light and PC light. Not directly under the MH at the start.

Sid, sorry to go off track. I love the little Deresa. Did you get him from Kevin?

He was under flourescents but very shallow at the LFS. I started him lower in the tank but a couple nights ago I moved him higher to more light and less flow. So far he seems happy and hasn't moved/fallen off.

Congrats on the new clam! they are soo cool. I've had 2 for about a year now and love them. (maxima and crocea). I heard they are hard to keep but I have had no problem even as other corals have died off.

Back