My home made moonlights

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I've been wanting to do moonlights since I got "the moonlights" on the corallife cf, which are a big fat joke.

Really stupid question, where do you get led lights and the ac adapter that goes with???

Welcome to RF "BJTen"! The led's I used are from the Viper alarms. Most alarms use the red led's, but DEI started making blue ones that go in their newer alarms. The led's, you can pretty much pickup at any authorized Directed Electronics dealer in your area (the part # is P/N 8634 and comes in a 5 pack.) As for the power supply, I bought an ac/dc converter from Radio shack for under $20 (here in the Bahamas) and it was the one with the selectable output voltages from 1.5v - 12v. These led's I used are supposed to run off of 3 volts so I may switch it from the 1.5v I have the power supply switched to now, to the 3 volts to see if they can actually run at 3 volts and how much brighter they would be:)

Thanks for the Welcome, I've been trying to talk to someone on aquaria central, and another place I can't recall, and nobody hears me (or I'm really asking the wrong questions to the wrong forums...ha). I'm new at this and I have two concerns, if you can't help maybe somebody will see this and give me some info:

1. Can i cut the end off of a chili coral that looks to be about the split anyway, using a sharp razor blade and if so, do I have to seal it with glue or strap to rock?

2. My coral beauty looks a little ragged! I think the clown tang has just been doggin her but she has her blue scraped off from over the tops of her eyes. Its not white like ich, it just looks like the blue has been scraped off and yellow is showing. I'm not sure, but I think her eyes may be buldging. Otherwise she looks and acts fine.

Thanks,
BJTenn (Tennessee, USA)

75 Gal mostly reef, I WAS proud of til I came online and saw "some comparisons"! (mine is quite sparse to what I've seen online!). Newby - 18 mos or so.

LEDs should be readily available in many locations, such as Radio Shack, Frye's, etc. There are also LED sources all over the Web. It shouldn't take much effort to find LEDs. Heck, I just found this guy:

http://stores.ebay.com/BestHongKong_Loose-Super-Bright-LED_W0QQfsubZ2

Then you'll need a power supply. Go to your local Goodwill or secondhand store, and pick up one of those wall wart brick transformers for cell phones. It'll be like.. $1, or something.

The last part is the "trickiest." Get a few different resistors (again, Radio Shack definitely has these) and use them for brightness control. The higher the resistor value the lower the brightness. The resistor would be wired in line with one of the two power leads.

That's a way to go about it Sherman:p The ones I used, I didn't use resistors. The ones in your link look cool though...I may try and light up some of the white ones I have at the shop to see how they look:)

I've always thought the blue ones were too blue. I haven't gotten around to this project yet, but thought I'd do a mixture of whites and blues, to tone down the color.

Another little trick is to sand the tips of the LED flatter. Then they'll be a lot less directional, so you'll get more of a wide wash, instead of hot spots. Of course, since they're covering such a larger area, they'll seem dimmer over all.

Make sense Sherman. You know you're a fart smeller...err... I mean Smart feller!:D We have some of the flat led's at the shop as well, but they are all red. If I were to put them on my tank, my fish would think they are in the red light district :shock:

Back