My little drop of ocean

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ok, I haven't even thought about the glass cleaner. Good thing I didn't buy one yet :) I used the two little fishes nano magnet cleaner on my old tank, loved that cleaner. Guess I have to make something for this one. But no biggie. I got my drop of ocean and I love it. Black sand looks awesome, just hope no problem arises with me being the owner!!!

Is Ammonia and Nitrite zero ?? if so, then yes, if not, then no..keep wait until the cycle is complete.

Ammonia at zero, nitrate at 20, calcium been dropping its down to 360. The rest look good! So ill test again tomorrow. And hope all is at a norm :) thanks

Since you have a reading for nitrates means cycle is complete. Go ahead and do 15% water change..nitrates are high..would like zero, but 5 and under is ok imo

Cool! I guess my cycle is done!!! Yeay!!!! So should I add fishy first after crabby and snail or coral first?! And does anyone know of a place I can buy RO/DI water locally?! My lfs that I used to get water from is closed now. Oh and how long can RO/DI water stay good in a bucket?! Sorry for all the questions.... And thank you for all the answers!!!!

the key here is go S-L-O-W...I cannot stress this enough...Slow is the key, as too fast the water chemistry will go out of balance and then you will be fighting algae and yourself.

RO water can stay a long time in a bucket as long as it is aerated by using a powerhead.

Don't know your area, but there are several LFS near Renton. The other option is buy your own RO/DI unit. This will save you money (and time) in the long run. Yes, it is an up front cost, but the benefits will pay you back in the long run.

How big is the tank?

I would only add one fish for now and after 2-3 wks then add some corals and CUC. But my answer may change depending on the size of the tank.

What fish were you thinking of? I added a couple snails and a crab first. And a few corals.
Water changes are so easy, you wont need to store much water. Get a 3-5 gal jug and fill it up once a month. Water changes will only be about 3 quarts a week.
Id still give it a few months before adding a fish.

Yeah I wasn't gonna add anything now, as much as I want to I know I'll be too busy taking care of a new born, I can manage water changes but not a stocked tank. But was just wondering what I should introduce first. I absolutely love this little tank thou. Lorrie you have no clue how happy I am to own it!!!!

In regards to fish, one of the members on this forum breeds his own clown fish, and what I was thinking is to get a small pair and keep untill they out grow it and gift/sell them to someone who has a bigger tank. But no more than two fish. If not clowns then a pair of goby's?! With a sexy shrimp?! But all of that is undecided till couple weeks/ months from now.

Imo you shouldn't put a pair of clowns in there and wouldn't do more than one fish. A goby that reaches a maximum of an inch or 2 is what I think would be best. Fish add a lot of bioload to a tank and with one this small you won't be able to handle very much.

You could do the inverts like the sexy shrimp you mentioned.

I had 1 tiger goby. He was about 1.5" long. And a phantom anemone shrimp. I changed approx 3 qrts a week. With no skimmer on the tank you really need to be able to siphon the sand or blow the detritus out of it. I kept a filter pad in the first chamber to catch as mush as possible.

I think two baby clowns would be okay for only a month or two. They grow pretty fast. Best to go with a small gobie. Possibly a clown goby? I think they stay pretty small.

Back