My new 120 upgrade

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

well hopefully the weld on saga is over. i swore i was high for an hour after using that stuff. woo.... i am amazed how quickly that stuff dries. i still suck at getting a nice steady bead though. :)

thanks everyone for the comments. hopefully tomorrow i am going to do a little more plumbing and get the star board in.

WTG Matt! Looking great! I asked for pictures and I got pictures...So, fill her up!:) Good job man...Thanks for sharing and best of luck with the rest of your setup!:)

This is genius in action. I wish I'd designed my stand with this in mind...

mattseattle said:
Oh this picture shows the end panels on the stand. On the stand each end comes out so you can slide the sump in or out as well as reach things easier.

P4160012.jpg

Nick

i can't take credit for it but it is one of the best parts about the stand. i can reach things from all sides. i definitely recommend it to anyone getting a custom stand.

Ok, after a slight re-design of my overflow and gravity feed plumbing I think I am done! :) Everything is glued and drying now.

This is where the overflow drains into the skimmer. The ball valve is to control the flow through the skimmer. Any excess water exits throught the T above it and out the side and down into the sump. I went from the horizontal 1.5" PVC down to 1" after the elbow going vertically. That helped with space and also allowed me to get more space between the T and the ball valve.

P4200001.jpg

The primary overflow is the one that leads into the skimmer. I have a secondary overflow or backup/emergency overflow that you can see to the back of the skimmer. The Durso standpipe is about 1/2" higher than the primary Durso. It's only there in case the primary overflow gets stopped up or can not handle the volume of water. I think the primary overflow should easily handle the flow of water through the sump. I just wanted to be cautious. I don't see alot of emergency overflows though.

P4200003.jpg

and this is the maze....it's the Sequence Hammerhead with the Oceans Motions 4-way and the closed loop system. I used Spa Flex because I was lazy.

P4200004.jpg

This is the other side of where the overflow drains down into the skimmer.... I am very happy with the way this turned out. It even looks somewhat professional! :)

P4200011.jpg

that's funny you say that as i've tried to make it as simple as possible. i've tried to put unions and such where i think i'll need them in case i need to dismantle it. i've also put ball valves so i can maintenace the pumps. i'm sure i'm forgetting something though. :) i also used spa flex in areas to save me from using elbows and other pieces.

cross your fingers for me! :)
rudeanduncouth said:
That looks intimidating. Nice though. I wish I would have thought that far ahead when I setup my 125.

It has a very nice clean look about it Matt. By that I mean, no excess primer and glue showing. Nice
I am curious, why the staggered durso's. Why not have them equal?
With both working the same, wouldn't the chance of noise be less?
Most durso's work great. All I've seen, plus the one I have were silent, (atleast untill I over powered the rate of flow it is supposed to handle).

Back