My new 300gal tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bigdave

bigdave
My new IAP 300gal

Here is some pics of my new 300+gal reef tank. It is 94x27x30 with coast to coast overflows. I will be using a Ampmaster 4700 on the CL controlled by a Hayward MBV. I will be putting a spraybar all the way across the bottom feeding it with amp 2100. I have a custom refuge/sump using DIY dual beckett skimmer with a pondmaster 2000. I have a PRO-Calcuim reactor with dual chambers. Return from the sump will be amp 2700 feeding three locklines in the front of the tank. Would like to use 3/4 sea swirls, but may be awhile before I can get them. lighting will be 400W MH x4 and VHO's for blue actinic. I think it will be a fun project. Give me some feed back and tell me what you think. All of your ideals are greatly appreciated. Thanks Dave

Last edited:
Wow!
Nice tank bud. :)
Keep us updated with pics please.
Sps? Softies? Fish only?
Ah hell, just put em all in there. :lol:

Maui

I forgot to tell you that it also doubles as a kiddie pool lol!! I will be breaking my 90gal sps tank. sps and leather mainly.

Here is some pictures of the closed loop. I havent got the MBV in yet. I'm still trying to decide where to put the pickup for the pump. I will be using two 1 1/2 bulkheads for the pickup.

I didn't mention before my tank was build by Larry and the IAP crew alone with my sump. I bought all my stuff from The Sharks Reef in Silverdale. It has 1/2 material with a 3/4 Euro top.

Here is the 1 1/2 spraybar across the bottom back. I am using a Ampmaster 2100 on this. I have been running a deep sand bed for a couple years on my 90gal and haven't had a problem. I planned on running a DSB

looks nice dave. Can't wait to see the stand for it. Since I just got done getting mine up and running, let me know if you run into any problems. I can't even tell you how many little things come up along the way. Honest to god, all the trips to home depot for 1 or 2 little things you forget.....

I too am setting a tank up that Larry made. Do you have 2 inlets to the spray bar? one on each end? You must be T ing off of the pump to it. I was going to run a single inlet in the back lower wall with a T off of the bulkhead fitting and the bar running to each end of the tank from the T. You must have bulkhead fittings in rhe bottom? Looks good so far.

Dave,

On the picture of your Dry-Fit of your closed loop piping, am I seeing the left and right side inputs comming up directly into a "T" fitting, where the oppisite side of that "T" is running directly to one of your inputs??? Won't this allow most of your return pressure to attemp going into that return, vice being spread out evenly to all 6???

My eyes are gettin old... could just be having a Sr moment here as well. *grinz*

The spray bar in the bottom is just coming through one bulkhead in the bottom and it is capped at the other end. On the closed loop it is just dry fitted right now should I change the input and if so where should I bring it in? Thanks for the input thats why I haven't glue nothing yet. I'm trying to do it right the first time thanks Ed, Matt, and John. To all at Reef Frointers thanks for the help. Dave

Unfortunately, I don't have answers, just questions to think about guy.

From the picture, it looks as if your piping is being reduced just prior to going thru the bulkheads? This should help divert more of the flow to the other 5 inputs per side, but I'm still not comfortable with it comming directly up from the pump return is all. I would of opted for some type of "T" into the header for all 6 of them, vice the 4-way there perhaps??? Hopefully, other's will chime in here from their experience, and have a good answer for yas guy.

Looks good. About 4 years or so ago I lived in Bremerton. There were no good fish or coral places around. I used to make my treks to Bellvue and Seattle all the time.

Next time I visit I will have to go to that place in Silverdale.

The Sharks Reef is a nice shop. Eric has some nice livestock he always has alot of soft, lps, and the best rock around. There is not alot of people come over hear from the other side, but I guess its there loss. He has some sps ever now and then but he will order you some anytime. He can get you the same corals that Blue Sierra Advertise a couple a weeks ago 10 good size peices for about $180.00. They are not frags either the smallest is about 4inch. Great shop no problems here.

Thanks Dave

He is located in clearcreek nursery off of clearcreek road. He is one of the sponsors of Reef Frontiers check out his web site. He has been in business now for about 3 yrs and before that he worked at a big shop in Salt Lake City.
He has really good prices and he imports his own stuff from Jakarta, PI, and Hawaii. Thanks Dave

Big D,

I agree with Lake Ed on his comments. I think it would be best if you pumped the water up to a 't' instead of it having the direct water pressure hitting that 1 output. I think that if you do it that way you are showing it you will have a lot more pressure on that particular nozzle. Also I am wondering if it would be such a great idea to have a DSB? I am a DSB hater, I admit it. My DSB really screwed me, and I will never have one again. I was also wondering which way your spray bar is pointing? Is it to give you flow upwards from the bottom up the back of the tank? Just curious. I think that you will have enough now that you are adding that extra ampmaster also. It must be exciting to get your tank going. I am looking forward to seeing it. We will have to trade some frags one day.

Back