My new 300gal tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Take a look at this and tell me if this looks good. I took the 4way out and put in a T and run it straight across all the nozzles. Getting ready to cut holes for the pump pickups. Thanks for the help Big T. Anyone have a good thought on where to bring the return from the sump to? I.E. in the front facing the back or the sides. looking for those opinions. Thanks Dave

Dave,

I like what you changed with your Closed Loop. I feel this should give a much more uniform flow to all 6 of the inputs per side.

Can't wait to see this fully up and runnin guy! CONGRATS!!! *Smile*

DAVE I amgoing to run my return from the sump into 3- 3/4" sea swirls, one on each end and one mounted to one of the cross braces sweeping left to right pointing towards the coast-coast. I will have the center one exiting on the surface of the water and the two end ones sweeping the reef. Probably well run Y fittings with lockline nozzles, haven't decided for sure yet.

I have got the sump now from IAP and it turned out real nice. It is 48x23x18
around 84gal with 35gal refuge. It has two lights a 36w pc and a 24pc with 1 1/2 inputs from the overflows. Thanks Dave

By the way Big T the spray bar in the back is going up the back and towards the front. It should keep behind the rock cleaned out.

Attachments

• SUMP1.JPG
    SUMP1.JPG
    72 KB
Just a quick note on where to put the return, I like to have it @ the front facing toward the back. This will help create some alternate flow in your tank, and make some more chaotic patterns in there. Nice sump! The CL returns look like it will be more uniform the way you have it setup now too.

Just got finished doing some final plumbing on the two closed loops. After talking with Big T and some others. I will be running Two closed loops. One will be running 8 lock line returns in the back 4 on the left and 4 on the right with a Ampmaster 4700 alternating them back and forth with a Hayward MBV.
The other loop will be run with Ampmaster 3600 alternating between 4 lock line returns in back center of tank and the spray bar on the bottom using MBV. I just ordered two 1inch Sea Swirls for the sump return using Ampmaster 2700 that will also feed my 1/2 hp Pacific coast imports chiller :)

Hopefully I will have the stand and canopy done in the next couple of weeks and get some water moving. I have 340lbs of live rock and plan on getting 50-60 more from Eric at The Shark Reef.

I was down at the Indoor Reef last week and Paul and Chris has a nice shop love that place too. So much money I could spend there.

Attachments

• plumbing 1.JPG
    plumbing 1.JPG
    44.5 KB
Well had a little snag. When we open the pumps last night they put a Ampmaster 3000 in a Ampmaster 4700 box :eek: . So I have to send it back and they are going to send me the right pump :) . I was glad my bud noticed it before we hooked them up :cool: . Til next time Dave

Not cool...who did that to you if I may ask? I'm sure it wasnt intentional, but how does that manage to happen? From the Manufacturer maybe?
Nick

I bought them at The Shark's Reef who gets them from IAP who are the Distributer for the northwest. Brian at IAP is trading it out for me with another one. It was sealed from the factory so they must have goofed. Its alright all these guys where great about it I can't say enough good things about them. All of these LFS overhear are great and the one in Tacoma.
Till next Dave

Update on tank

Well after a month or two of waiting I finally started setting it up. After completing the stand and canopy I got started on the plumbing and that was some fun stuff! I got my MBV in on Thursday and off I went. Here are some pics of what I have done over the weekend. Sorry I didn't get any good shots of the plumbing I had it against the wall putting water in it before I remembered to take any pics. Thanks Dave

I love it when a plan comes together! Great job dave, the stand is real nice too :D

Its bigger in Person

Hey Dave,
Just letting everyone here know that your an outstanding person to be talk with. I saw this tank in person... it is absolutely, positively, awsome. Your 90 is nothing to be ashamed of, this thing flat rocks. Im also going to point out, the stand holds that tank a good ways off the floor. I hope you have a ladder to get into it! Nice job on the plumbing, and I am looking forward to seeing the pictures after it is up and running with your rock. Looks great! :D
Jaybo
It was worth the drive from Olympia to see it!

Thanks to Jay and Big T for the great words. It was a pleasure talking with you Jay and need any help in the future give me a yell and I will be there. Now that Tom is back maybe we can get together and talk. I'm looking forward to seeing what other ideas you have.

I have all the rock in the tank now a little over 400lbs but who's counting
(my wife is $$$) but she will get over it in a year or two HA! HA! :) Thanks to Eric at the Sharks Reef, Ocean Reef Aquatics and the boys over at IAP. Its been great and It isn't over yet.

I will post some more pics tomorrow. good night

Til next time Dave

Here are some pics of the setup after the transfer from the 90gal and the addition of rock. I went with 400w x 4 20k MH the pics shows it really blue but in the tank it is a very crisp white with a tough of blue great no PC's

The rock work turned out great, but still need a couple nice pieces.
The Shark Reef has some coming at the end of the week hope to pick up a couple nice pieces then he always has great rock!

Hope to here some feedback from all Till next time Dave

Attachments

• front 1.JPG
    front 1.JPG
    54.3 KB
  • side 2.JPG
    side 2.JPG
    53.6 KB
Back