My New Lighting System

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MtnDewMan

RF Premium Member
Well I have been struggling with maintenance with my canopy. My short arms just can't reach where I needed to with the doors and the placement ... plus it was a two man job to get the canopy off the tank each time I needed it off. So while at MACNA in DC this year, I ordered me a new Sunlight Supply Maristar fixture. Currently running the 14500k Megachrome bulbs but thinking I want something a bit more blue. But here are the pictures of the new setup ... a bit different looking without the matching canopy but I think it still looks pretty good :)

With a flash....
09-24-05_full_tank_view_1.jpg

Withoug a flash...
09-24-05_full_tank_view_2.jpg

And from across the room...
09-24-05_full_tank_view_3.jpg

yeah, definitely a different look but i like it. i've thought about doing something similiar to my tank. the whole canopy gets in the way sometimes.

It looks amazing Chuck! I hope you don't sunburn that clown and turn him into a black and white perc with all that light :D Elmo may have your head for that :shock: Are you going to add another canopy eventually? I have the same problem with my canopy. I'm only 5ft 6 and I've got a 90 gal. I may rebuilt my canopy so that the whole face as well as the top lifts with a hidden hinge. That way I don't have to lift it off everytime I do a water change. Good luck and thank you for taking time out to share some pics with us while you have a very busy schedule with the server issues.

Oh and Krish, I think I have had these clowns much longer than Elmo has been raising clowns so I think they will be okay

:shock: ...You better hurry up and shut down this server before Elmo sees that post...Edit it or something (LOL) He's very sensative when it comes to clowns :lol:

Welcome to the open top tank club Chuck! I think that it looks great. I also like the color, but I think that I am going to stick w/ 10k especially after seeing some of the tanks down in Portland LFS's I was just saying to a friend today that we hadn't seen any pix of your tank lately. Looking good.

I love it. I've grown to like the open top look with pendants or fixtures like you're running a good deal better than the full canopy look now, and its definitely nicer for cooling.

I hope none of your fish are jumpers though. =)

-Dylan

Looks good MDM. As far as I'm concerned the only drawback with open top tanks is evaporation. Since we deal with that on a daily basis though it's not a big thing. It's certainly a hell of a lot easier to get into your tank.

Clayton

Chuck - the tank is looking great!!! The fixture is very nice! Let's bring my 3-1/2 year old over and see if its good to have an open top with kids. I'd like to test my theory of things getting launched into the tank :lol:.

BTW - the tank will look even better when you get one of those VorTech pumps in it :D

Hi MDM! My first post here at RF...

I'm about to order the 36" SLS Maristar 2x150 fixture tomorrow and was wondering how you like it so far?! It looks like it's been running about 1 month now, right?

Thanks!

Rob

Last edited:
Chuck,
The tank looks great! I'm also curious about your feelings on the Maristar. I'd read on the RC Sunlight Supply Forum that a couple of people had some issues with the legs on the Maristar fixtures not staying at the height they were set at, meaning they would slide down closer to the water.
Any dislikes about the fixture?

Sunlight Supply Maristar fixture - NOT good

The most recent post is from 09-06-05, and it doesnt seem to be many people (numberwise) complaining, but its odd that no-one has said anything good about them in this thread.

What's your take on this fixture Chuck?

Nick

Thanks for the nice welcome guys!

I just read that RC thread, and it seems to me that the problems described kind of apply to most any fixtures out there. Nothing major mentioned, IMO. Thanks for pointing it out!

Let's see how Chuck is making out...

Rob

Back