My New Lighting System

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sorry I haven't gotten to this thread earlier. Welcome to Reef Frontiers reef 'n ale ..

I do like my maristar fixture. I also have the problem of the fixture not staying higher than the lowest position. I have yet to try a lock washer or anything like that. I may try that sometime. I would probably raise it by only a couple of inches though as currently it is about 7" off the water surface.

Other than that I am very happy with it. Not real loud like some of those posts say about the fans, I can get into the tank for better maintenance and I can actually remove the unit by myself without the help from someone else.

The fixture legs are a pain to remove because of the 8 allen wrench screws, but considering you only need to remove them to replace bulbs it is not that big of a deal.

All in all I like the unit and am happy with the unit. Oh, and it was very easy to hook it up to my PFO HQI ballast with the correct cord adapters.

Thanks for the welcome and info Chuck! :)

The height problem sounds like a couple of star washers can take care of that!

I got the run-around from AquaMedic trying to get the 36" Oceanlight, so I'm going to go ahead and get the Maristar! Wish me luck! :D

Rob

Last edited:
Ahh,
The Aquamedic Ocean light series was one of the ones I was looking at in place of the Maristar.....
Hmm....
Fortunately I dont need anything just yet...

Nick

Ahh... Nick is going to save some money...for now! :lol:

The AquaMedic is the one I wanted. Long story short, I paid for one in July, and here we are in October, and AquaMedic can't come through with the fixture! So, I saw the Maristar, and actually liked it better.

Rob

Welcome to RF Reefland.com! I just checked out your name and it looks like a cool site! Glad you joined us here also!

Thanks for the welcome, been a long time browser of RF and a good friend to Chuck for a long time, thought I would say hi. :)

Thanks for the welcome, been a long time browser of RF and a good friend to Chuck for a long time, thought I would say hi.

Well then, don't just say hi and tease us...You have to stick around because just by reading a few of the replies you've made already on some of the threads, you've got a lot of knowledge to offer here and I would love to hear your opinions on a lot of issues ...Don't mind my post count. It doesn't mean I know anything(LOL).

Don't beleive none of what you hear and only half.....

ahhh who am I kiddin.

LOL...Well, I can tell you one thing...You stick with me and your post count will shoot through the roof and pass Jiddy's! But, on the otherhand, you will also get in a lot of trouble for hijacking perfectly good threads like this one!(LOL)...Sorry Chuck :shock:

Hey Scott

Nice to see you here. Yah, been a long time since I have been able to spend lots of time on all of the boards including yours. Thanks for coming by and saying hi. Hope you are doing well yourself. Post a picture of your tank on our site so everyone can check it out :)

Hey Chuck! Got my Maristar today!!! :)

Did your tank brackets come with those little rubber o-rings on the studs? I can see they won't work well before I even set it up. I'm going to work on getting those lock washers we talked about. Do you want a set? Let me know!

Rob

hey i have a question for you. How much light is given off by that light without the canopy? I'm thinking about getting the exact same light and have the tank placed on the same wall as our TV . My wife is worried about the glare

alanscott said:
hey i have a question for you. How much light is given off by that light without the canopy? I'm thinking about getting the exact same light and have the tank placed on the same wall as our TV . My wife is worried about the glare
:) i used some Vynal Siding to cut down the glare of my hamilton 175 mh./two 96 actinics...( on a 55 reef ) i have the vynal cut to the length of the light body...hanging by somebrass hanging chain... and when i do anything to the tank... i filp-up the vynal.... it works well , especially since the tanks on top of the kitchen conter ...so sitting in the living room it keeps the glare out of the living room..... hope this helps to keep the peace ..... cw.

Back