My new Rebel XT pictures...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blazer88

I just got this camera today and have been playing around with it. Many of the zoanthid shots look a bit overexposed to me...but heck, I've only been playing with the camera for a few hours. Fish are still tough to photograph while I learn how to get enough exposure and keep the shutter speed quick enough to keep the blur to a minimum. I don't really like how the fish came out (no tripod) but oh well. Let me know what you think.

Rics.jpg

zoos.jpg

zoos5.jpg

zoos3.jpg

zoos2.jpg

Brain2-1.jpg

Goby.jpg

BabyClowns1.jpg

I took this one in the morning with just the moonlights on. The exposure was for 30 seconds and was taken in RAW + JPEG. The jpeg turned out like crap but the RAW was useable for a cool image. I think it's really cool the camera can take a RAW+jpeg image, that is really useful. I'll try taking some more pics in RAW today when my lights turn on.

Montipora.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys/gals. And here are a few more shots with just VHO actinics...I'm getting better with the camera. I'll shoot more today when my lights turn back on. It seems RAW is the way to go for the most 'pop' of colors and flexibility. Does the PSAS make shirts?

Brain_Night.jpg

Green_Zoos_Night.jpg

Zoas_Night.jpg

No we have a cafe press account, currently there are only two images to pick from that were created back in 2002 by someone else when it was first set up.

I love that brain, I've had it for well over a year now. It's been through quite the recovery though as it almost fully bleached at one point in time. The first picture of it is kind of funny, it looks rather...flaccid, lol. The picture with the actincs on is more what it normally looks like. Here is an older picture of it with my old Kodak camera and you can see that it is quite unhealthy.

Firefish2_600.jpg

ohh yeah dood it definetly healed good :) .
what are you feeding it?
i have a red brain coral that is going through recovery right now, I'm feeding it cyclo peeze 3 times per week.

Your pics are SWEET! May I ask which lens you used for your pics?? I have the same camera, and haven't figured out how to use it that well yet.

I'm using the kit lens that came with the camera. I would like to get the F/2.8 100mm macro lens but spending $400 after I just bought the camera sorta sucks :) I ordered the close-up kit so I can take some better macro's in the meantime.

I see :) I am trying to use the 18-55mm lens, and I can't get good clear closeups like yours....I may need to get you to come show me how to work the silly thing!;)

Here is a quick example between shooting in RAW and jpeg. This is the same picture taken in RAW and jpeg (I love how the camera can do both at once).

RAW: Exposure, contrast, tint, hue, saturation, shadows, brightness, color temperature, sharpness, noise reduction, plus others are all easy to adjust in this format resulting in a much more accurate picture. I applied the settings, cropped, and resized.
Orange_Zoas_RAW.jpg

JPEG: The image is softer with less vibrant colors straight out of the camera. It probably would look better if the levels were messed with to take out a little blue (I used auto WB for the pic) but the colors still wouldn't be accurate. Overall a much more dull shot...just like the ones I posted yesterday :)
Orange_Zoas.jpg

I'm picking the easy things to photograph first :D I am still working on getting decent pics of the fish, they keep coming out with some blur.

Back