My new work tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jamiehill

Utini
I recently upgraded my 3 gallon pico that sat on my desk to a 12 gallon Aquapod.

I added 3 fans for a total of 4. Two in the back in the stock spots and 2 in the front on each side of the feeding door. I also moved the 70w halide into the hood of the new tank. So far my temps have been staying around 78. I was having some problems with the ballast tripping and shutting off due to too much heat around the bulb. I played around with the reflector and removed some pieces so the airflow around the bulb is better and I have not had any ballast trips since.

I have a maxijet set up with some PVC at the bottom of the tank acting as a spray bar and also adding extra flow. I picked up a Koralia pump this last weekend, but it is alot bigger than I thought it would be. I am probably going to end up taking it back this weekend.

I still need to put the fan covers on the hood. The big holes in the top look kind of ghetto. I am also looking at one of the Octopus HOB skimmers. Mark was showing me one at Barrier Reef and they look pretty nice.

The goal is to have this be an SPS/LPS dominated tank.

I have a DIY ATO system already built that I have switched over to the new tank from the old one.

So far the inhabitants are:
1 Highfin goby
1 Sexy shrimp
4 snails
1 blue leg hermit
1 small crocea clam

Corals:
Sunset Montipora
red cap
green cap
green candy cane
ricordias
several different zoos
2 types of xenia
GSP
green striped mushrooms

The xenia, mushrooms and GSP are going to be removed once I start to get more SPS in the tank. I also have a frogspawn and hammer frag that I will be bringing in to put in the tank.

I took some pictures of the inside of the hood when I was putting the lights in, but they were not on the camera.

P1000583.jpg

P1000585.jpg

P1000582.jpg

P1000581.jpg

P1000580.jpg

P1000579.jpg

P1000578.jpg

Added a bunch of frags a few days ago. Getting some pretty good polyp extension. I also separated the 4 fans into 2 different plug ins. That way I can run 2 of them on the reefkeeper and run them based on the temp of the tank.

I also added a Koralia 1 and a black clown from Barrier Reef. He is pretty cool. He comes up to the front of the glass to say hi when I get in the office in the morning (I think he actually just wants food :)).

Next addition to the tank will be a HOB skimmer.

Amm/trites/trates are all 0. Calcium & Alk levels are running around 420 and 8.5. I am supplementing with Kent Liquid Reactor, just a couple drops a day.

The frags I added are:

• Green tort
  • ORA tort
  • Cali (?) tort
  • Another green cap
  • Green acro w/ blue tips
  • Pink birdsnest
  • Purple tri-color
  • Green & red zoos
  • Pink acro

Last edited:
That pico tank was pretty incredible, this tank should allow you greater flexibility though with four times the water volume. Hope to see new pics soon.

That pico tank was pretty incredible, this tank should allow you greater flexibility though with four times the water volume. Hope to see new pics soon.

I really liked the pico, but everything I had was starting to outgrow it. Also, the boss said I could get a bigger tank, so I jumped on it before he changed his mind.:D

Here are some updated pictures. I picked up some sand tonight and will be adding a SSB in the next few days.

FTS
IMG_00821024x768.jpg

Right side
IMG_00841024x768.jpg

Left side
IMG_00861024x768.jpg

Some SPS frags
IMG_00591024x768.jpg

Tricolor acro
IMG_00621024x768.jpg

Acan
IMG_00661024x768.jpg

Oregon tort
IMG_00701024x768.jpg

Superman Digitata
IMG_00761024x768.jpg

Sunset Montipora
IMG_00691024x768.jpg

Looks awesome! I really want a piece of the Digi's.

I got that one from Dang at the frag swap a couple months ago. It has grown pretty well in the short time I have had it. I am waiting for it to color up a little more. The main colony had more of a blue base, but mine is more of a creamy blue. It doesn't come through in the picture though.

I added the sand bed. It is about 2" deep. My goby is much happier. With the bare bottom, he would just hide all day. Now that there is sand, he is out and active.

I also picked up a candy stripe pistol shrimp from Barrier Reef a couple days ago. This morning I came in to work and couldn't find the goby. After the lights came on, he stuck his head out of a cave and the pistol shrimp followed him out. I am surprised they found each other so quick. I figured it would take a while. Such a cool pairing.

I just took a picture with my camera phone.
photo-5.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a couple more pictures I took this morning.

Here are a couple with just the actinics.
photo-9.jpg

photo-8.jpg

And here is a FTS after the halide came on.
photo-11.jpg

Back