My Newest coldwater display tank, going inside tomorrow!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

AquaticEngineer

Started this post on a couple other forums as I began the refurb on this tank, thought I would share it over here also :)

Here's the final outcome picture of this tank, its going in the house tomorrow :D
temporary_zpsb731af2b.jpg

-------------------------------
Its a 2003 model Marineland ML-26BW-2 140 gallon tank that measures 71” L x 31”W x 40” H. It has dual corner overflows at both ends, a small waterfall return and is completely open topped, trimmed in stainless steel, and only 40" over all height so its top down viewable :)

I've been looking for a tank with similar measurements in acrylic FOREVER to fit into the nook in my living room where I mounted my wall mount tank. But tanks that size in 3/4" to 1" acrylic are ridiculously expensive.

Best part is that since this model has an insulated sump that is set up like a normal aquarium sump I can drill one hole through the back of the stand, one through the wall and connect the entire thing into my 500+ gallon holding system in the garage.

Going to light it with a pair of 50 watt High ouput LED spotlights like the ones I have made in the past with super tight beam angles on them so that I can mount them right near the ceiling and have no fixtures hanging in the way similar to how most public aquariums have their tide pool tanks lit.

With the measurements of the tank I dont have to do anything to my wall mounted stainless steel system so it can just stay were it is :)

Maybe I'll do a native oregon freshwater non-game fish tank out of the little wall mount now.

17778_591930704191760_1698853470_n.jpg

969270_591930687525095_1264413205_n.jpg

971597_591930707525093_633760616_n.jpg

So here it is when I got it back to the garage, I went ahead and started on the deconstruction of the exterior and removed the super awesome lap siding on it and started sanding it to prep for paint.

Ran a water test on it and tweaked a few things. Added some mounts for the pump to stop vibration, tested it for overall noise and I am going to add a couple durso stand pipes to the overflows to eliminate water falling noise.

Plan is to finish sanding it fill in some holes with wood puddy paint the stand a sand camel color that matches the interior house paint then polish the stainless.

Gotta add a secondary overflow onto the sump area that will drain down into the garage coldwater holding system and that will tie it all together.

lobstertank1jpg8_zps151af3d4.jpg

lobstertank1jpg3_zpsd7e22dee.jpg

lobstertank1jpg4_zps4628dc5b.jpg

lobstertank1jpg5_zps2f1b30e6.jpg

lobstertank1jpg2_zps8f8c7cb9.jpg

lobstertank1jpg1_zpsa0dd5e74.jpg

Here is the area I am going to put the tank in.

temporary_zps8b3f3cde.jpg

Since I already have the stainless wallmount tank in place and it runs independently, I am planning on leaving it were it is and the lobster tank will be a top down viewable coldwater tidepool tank lit with 50w LED spot lights from the ceiling.

Here is a video of the system running just one water test.

Managed to get the dual dursos in it and finish removing all the old lap siding. *

Got the KILLZ mold resistant paint on it for primer. *

Filled all the old nail holes and smoothed out the spots that used to have handles on the removable front panels. *

Next up is orange peel texturing to match the inside wall texture, then paint and trim to match.

temporary_zpsd8e88727.jpg

temporary_zpsd71b3a67.jpg

temporary_zps640edd6d.jpg

temporary_zps7d53f89a.jpg

temporary_zps9066b865.jpg

Got the final color on it today, Brown Alpaca. Matches in the interior room its going into and then it gets white baseboard trim added.
temporary_zpsff49da40.jpg

Blacked out the back panel so its stainless on black like the wall mount above it.
temporary_zps79ad03a4.jpg

Got the back completely blacked out and finished.

Also did the waterfall return in black so it blends with the background and the dual overflows.

Pulled the masking tape off since I'm finished with paint now.

Just a few touch ups and still need to add the hardware on the front door panels because the magnets are strong enough that I cant pull the panels off without reaching in from one of the sides and pushing them out. So I grabbed some brushed nickel 18" bar handles for the the two front panels at Lowes today.

Lobstertankwithpaintjpg1jpg4_zps42ee3051.jpg

Lobstertankwithpaintjpg2_zps7477ba0c.jpg

Lobstertankwithpaintjpg3_zpsb7741cbc.jpg

Lobstertankwithpaintjpg1_zpsff5012d5.jpg

Didnt like the way the white trim looked on the tank once I put it on there. Just seemed like to much going on. So this tank is officially finished with refurb. Now I just gotta arrange for 5 mor guys to come help me move it into the house, lol.

Did a quick addition of a flush mounted digital temp probe where the sump level indicator light used to be. Didnt need the sump level light since this tank will always be at a constant level and will dump out into my garage.

I didnt like how the hole filled over once I removed the light, so I made it a bigger hole and then squared it out to fit this:
533243_599744746743689_1726119175_n.jpg

1187055_599744733410357_1962164396_n.jpg

temporary_zpsb731af2b.jpg

Dang. Nice work! Luv the temp.display.

Iam still.intrested.in the.coldwater!
Haven't.made the jump.or leap.yet though :(
-d

Sweet, I have always wanted one of those tanks. Every time I go into red lobster I tell my husband I want that tank.
He wont let me have another one though and he wont let me tank down any of the ones I have to replace with a lobster tank.
Great job on it. It looks awsome.

wow. great job on the tank. cant wait to see pictures of it running. keep the pictures coming

Finally got the other light done :) Just waiting for the water to clear up a bit now after cleaning. Needs more livestock, but with the lights kicked at a slight angle forward and to the middle I get that highlighted deepwater reef effect I was looking for :)

temporary_zps8becbb70.jpg

Also caught my Irish Lord and one of my scorps hanging out together this morning. For those thinking about keeping some temperate stuff this tank runs right about 60F pretty much all the time.

10351531_742756002442562_5510407423440167999_n.jpg

Back