My Sohal Tang has Bulimia

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I've got a coral beauty who has become a "nipper". BTW beautiful fish. Just plain darn beautiful.

thank you,

Nice variety! Is your majestic nipping on your corals? I've always heard not to mix corals with the Majestic but see it done in the forums.

He occasionally nips at a small zoa but that is all he's ever done. Tank is FULL with softys, LPS, sps, shrimp, clams, etc. Nori is his main food source along with chopped seafood mix, mysis, and prime reef flakes. Big eater, but quite friendly. This is my third Majestic I have had in reefs. They are very reef safe for large angels. Have seen many write ups that consider them reef safe. Be that as it may, the one you buy after reading this will become a nipper:D

What gives the 'marginal' reef safe fishes a bad name is usually the aquarist. :eek: :)

Mother Nature doesn't waste Her resources. If a coral is dying or 'going bad' many marginal reef safe fishes will eat them. I've seen many a healthy reef tank stand up to even fishes claimed to not be reef safe, yet poorly kept reef tanks get quickly ravished by fishes that were sworn to be reef safe.

In a similar way, I've seen the same with fishes. In a community tank all is well, then I notice one fish is being chased by others. Within two weeks that fish is dead from whatever malady it had. Yet before it exhibited any signs of an outward or visual (to humans) problem, the other fish 'knew' its resources were up for grabs. :exclaim:

Back