My Tank Has A Bullseye

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I would Have it repaired like a windshield. I'm about 98% sure you will never have a problem after the repair. 99% sure after it has been filled with water for 2 weeks that it will be ok. My only concern is that the resin used will absorb water and put more pressure out from the repair that will cause cracking. But this would like begin to apper within the first two weeks.

-=diesldave=-, thank you. I appreciate your optimism. 98 and 99% are more than good enough for me. I was under the impression that once the resin cured it would be rendered inert?

Hmmm... I wonder what stops windshields from cracking. I'm pretty sure they are not tempered.

Windshields are tempered. The repair process is also not going to work on an aquarium made from a single sheet of glass. The way the windshield gets repaired is to drill a very tiny hole half way through the glass untill you hit the flexible layer. The the UV resin is injected under pressure between the two layer of glass.

Don

Don, I thought a windshield was some sort of laminate, and side windows are tempered glass. Thats why when side windows get busted out they shatter into a bazillion little pieces, and when windshield get hit they cave in but stay intact because of all the plastic- not tempering. Anyway, I'm no glass expert... So if you don't think a windshield repair kit will work do you have any suggestions, or do you think this repair is FUBAR?

Don, I thought a windshield was some sort of laminate, and side windows are tempered glass. Thats why when side windows get busted out they shatter into a bazillion little pieces, and when windshield get hit they cave in but stay intact because of all the plastic- not tempering. Anyway, I'm no glass expert... So if you don't think a windshield repair kit will work do you have any suggestions, or do you think this repair is FUBAR?

I think its fubar. The uv resin I squirt between the two sheets on every winshield I fix will not adhere well to the outer glass. All the extra just wipes off. What might smooth it out is mirror adhesive but it is also uv cure.

And you are right, I was mistaken windshields are just laminated unless it a new lexus. Had to go back and check my book.:)

Don

Last edited:
I have heard from a few poeople that sandwiching a crack between 2 peices of glass w/ silicone holds for quite some time. It probably isn't going to look perfect, but if on the back the rock work would hide it pretty well.

I have heard from a few poeople that sandwiching a crack between 2 peices of glass w/ silicone holds for quite some time. It probably isn't going to look perfect, but if on the back the rock work would hide it pretty well.

That would work but of course like you said would need to be hidden in the back.

Don

Think you guys are over thinking all this! One I'd like to see a bigger or close up of that chip. If you had actual tiny cracks inside the bullseye then you have issues & that glass will eventually cause problems but from what I can see you have a dish type of chip that looks like a series of cracks but really is ripples from the impact & not real cracks. To be a real crack it would be through the glass or have real potential to enlarge as one would in a car through heat & vibrations. You can silicone a piece over the chip but structurally on a Dime size chip not much would be done to help. I've seen glass repair cracks on cars that were as long as 18" & guaranteeing that they wouldn't get longer, so to me somehow the stuff they inject not only filling in the cracks translucently but adheres to it somehow. This isn't like what they use to use anymore, these guys get certified to do this type of repair. From the tiny pics, I don't see no more than a chip with ripples in it but not real cracks, so without better inspection I doubt anything else can be done to make that better, either it is good or you need to trash it & replace that pane. JMO!

I've seen glass repair cracks on cars that were as long as 18" & guaranteeing that they wouldn't get longer, so to me somehow the stuff they inject not only filling in the cracks translucently but adheres to it somehow.

It needs uv and no oxygen to cure thats why it just wipes off after it sets up. I'm a novus authorized facility and did over 1100 repairs last year alone. I can confidently say it will not do anything for an external divet. There is a divet filler made by novus but it does not work well nor does it hold up to weather so I would guess it wouldnt work in SW either. A windshield is a simple fix anyone with even the shortest supply of brain cells can do it. Single layer glass is not even comparable.

Don

One thing I was thinking about the guys that do this also drill the crack end If it is a long one as added prevention. I agree that it the divet with complete cracks would benefit from a glass silicone patch but I would fear that the cracks could spread out regardless, not something I'd trust but If it is just a divet with no through cracks, I'd do an external tank fill as suggested & then go with it, 1/6" deep isn't enough IMO as they do over size glass some but I have seen some manufacturers go very thin on some tanks where others go thicker.
Also I understand that a windshield is laminated & why it works because they can fill that void & UV it but a patch on top of cracks all around may get support to help hold it together but the question would be how much & how long LOL!

Big photos

These are larger shots.

2245807716_fe80dc3f9b_o.jpg

2245012877_7933ccde77_o.jpg

2245013037_d975df0c9b_o.jpg

Last edited:
It is much better to look at but not like I was there, I can't see any cracks that would be damaging any farther but It looks like about 1/8" deep at least. It being circular like that & on the said pane, I honestly think it will support enough strength to not hurt a thing, also adding a slightly larger piece over it with silicone I, I think may add some security.
Here is the deal, NO one will ever tell you that it isn't going to break because of that divit. This is going to be a personal conscience thing, can you sleep at night knowing that all that water could possibly explode onto your floor?
Find a level spot outside & fill it & let it sit two weeks. Then decide from there if you feel confident about it or not. I can't see enough detail or honestly say any different because It isn't at my house with me making that decision as you will have to. If I had worries about it from my experience, I'd do one of two things, sell it or as I first mentioned, I'd remove the pane & take it to the glass shop & get a new one. It is cheap, & if you take your time cutting it out, & putting it back in then there is no reason to think it would be less stronger than what it was before the divit as in new tank. These tanks are held together by silicone & square cut glass & some sort of frame around the top & bottom, some don't even have that top frame anymore LOL
I still think it will be fine, I'd fill it outside just to be safe but probably would decide rather quickly & be done with it. Now with that said, you can point fingers at me for advising you something that I doubt anyone would want to be responsible for LOL but that is just my honest OPINION, which is just that, wish I could tell you for certain but that just ain't going to happen.

I don't know if it would work, but I would give the auto repair kit a try. That chip should not kill the tank, but it will weaken the glass quite a bit. Personally I would still use it, I would just keep an eye on it. As long as it does not start cracking you should be ok. But of course it will be a much easier place for the crack to start from.

Kim

The auto repair kit will not hold up...trust me...we tried it on a simple 40 gal breeder tank with a chip near the bottom. If you really wanted to fix it tear the pane out and have a glass shop cut you a new one. Re silicone it in..pretty easy...just time consuming.

If you can live with it, can glue a glass patch over the hole on the inside to strengthen it. Best with an entire sheet if possible. Easier than replacing the panel.

It might not ever crack, orrrrrr it could crack when some rock fell in the tank, blow out in the middle of the night or when away, or throw glass when some kid is tapping on the tank. Odds are against a catastrophic failure, but you know Murphy's law.

Last edited:
I work at a glass shop, i work through a lot of projects where glass is being put to the tests of many situations. I would seriously just ditch that tank, or maybe check with a local glass shop to have the panel replaced. If it were mine i would ditch it. the last thing you want is your tank ending up ont your floor

This is way old, but...

I am sure this is probably way over and done with, but just in case anyone else has a similar problem, another possible solution might be to drill the tank around the blemish and install a bulkhead.

Back