My tank looks like it crashed

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dexter

I was on vacation in Las Vegas for my birthday and when I came back from being out of town my clown fish was dead and my corals are not opening up at all. I'm really worried right now. Any suggestions?

I am going to get more water right now. I am going to check my levels as well too.

Major water change asap. check water parameters and did someone top off fresh water while you on vacation??

the person who normally does my water changes is out until the end of the week. Is there anybody that lives close by to Lynnwood that could help out?

text me 206-235-8272

As mentioned, do a large water change and run carbon. This will go a long way towards correcting whatever could be wrong.

Check all the basics:

Salinity
Temperature
ph
Ammonia

Any large fluctuation in any of these, could have caused the fish death.

Also, look into any contaminants that could have been introduced into the water.

Then, also test for:

Alk
Ca
Mg

Any large drop or fluctuation in any of these could be what's keeping your corals unhappy.

Okay. I went to the fish store to get a couple of 5 gallon bottles of water. I had them run all the tests so I can see where I'm at. They said everything looked fine. Nitrates were at five as well. I'm not exactly sure what happened while I was gone. I am super bummed. This was right after the weekend of my birthday.

nitrogen.jpg

Hopefully this image can help you with understanding the nitrate cycle. There has to be something feeding the cycle, too much fish,too much feeding, not enough water changes (the smaller the tank the more unstable the water parameters can be). THese are things that you should look at.

Back