my wall of water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spieszak

so, I've never done a build thread, mostly because nothing I'm doing is all that spectacular, and I suck at taking pictures, so, really.. whats the point without pictures. I've thrown some some shots together today though. So, heres a short write up on the 75 and display fuge... But really, more just a photo dump

Nem tank (that might be done with dinos, but now has cyano can also be seen in the pictures, and I think if you turn your head to the side on of them, you can catch a glimpse of the 60)

The display fuge is finally up and running, DSB and some macro. Its sitting on a modified RocketEngineer stand that I built to hold the 24x24 sump. The back where the tank sits is 'normal' RocketEngineer, the extended front is the only 'real' modification. Its lit by a 30 inch dual bulb T5. The light poles (for lack of a better term) are mounted to the back of the stand with braces, and sit on a 2by attached to the back of the stand. I used a forstner bit to recess them into the board, so the braces on the back hold no weight, and I can lift the poles out for the (likely) occurrence that the rustoleam allows the moisture to get to the conduit.
Until last weekend I was running with a 20 gallon tank for the sump on the 75. It moved over to the new sump last weekend, and the fuge went online this morning.
Tank is run by an AC3, and a couple of DJ power strips that I built into a 'power center' to hide the cords a bit and keep things out of the way.
BRS two part for dosing. This incarnation of the 75 has been up and running for about 2 years, and the rock and some of the coral came from an acrylic 75 that eventually became to hard to maintain for the scratches. It wasn't until maybe 6 or 8 months ago that I really starting putting any hard corals in the tank, which is why the leathers show so much more growth than anything else.

wow you do have a wall of water. nice job. i am turning my 160 gallon tank into a anemone tank

Explain to me in English what that stands for :)

No. But I'll give it to you in Spanish. Corregido por usted.
(dear anyone who speaks Spanish. If that doesn't say what I think it says, and it says something really bad, or distasteful, please, please don't tell anyone. Except maybe google translate)

Great looking wall of clean tanks. You know, one big tank is easier to take care of. Just sayin.

Great looking wall of clean tanks. You know, one big tank is easier to take care of. Just sayin.

Thanks, and I bet it is. This setup has been slowly evolving over 4 or 5 years now.
There is a large tank somewhere in my future, but its not in the cards right now, and I'm still learning.. something new all the time. I'm not sure there will ever be a time when I'm not, but, when it is time for the large tank, I want it to be that I don't waver in the slightest on what/how I will run it. What overflow, how I want it plumbed, circulation, how I'll manage nutrients... I may end up wrong on all of it, but I'd like to feel confident in the decisions when I make them. And, I'm really enjoying these tanks while I figure it out.

Regardless, the Nem's will always have their own tank, to share with the clowns, so they can walk all they want, and no one will care.

your a feakin addict.

you know that......right?

happy to tag along here!
Would be hard to deny it if I tried, but this I will I don't go to the meetings. I'm afraid someone will sneak in a 12 step program. :)

There is no 12 step program............................. :).

If you stop learning.............. you may as well quit.

As far as the big tank goes, you never get things exactly the way you want/wanted them, it is a constant learning process, you just try to get as many variables out of the way when you start.

JMHO

If you stop learning.............. you may as well quit.
Agreed
As far as the big tank goes, you never get things exactly the way you want/wanted them, it is a constant learning process, you just try to get as many variables out of the way when you start.
JMHO
I don't think I can get it exactly right. Having confidence in the choices is an entirely different thing though.

Agreed

I don't think I can get it exactly right. Having confidence in the choices is an entirely different thing though.

Confidence in choices runs down to talking with a knowledgeable local fish store that has been there and done this before. It took me one year to plan, and another 6 months to put it all together. I had everything on paper and asked a certain person in Spokane one heck of alot of questions!!!!!!

Confidence in choices runs down to talking with a knowledgeable local fish store that has been there and done this before. It took me one year to plan, and another 6 months to put it all together. I had everything on paper and asked a certain person in Spokane one heck of alot of questions!!!!!!

We're lucky here. The LFS's care about your tank, not just your dollar, at least that has been my experience.. so, yes, I will definitely talk with them when I'm ready. Sadly, I also have to consider time and expense (along with on going expense). If I could just find that winning lottery ticket! If nothing else though, this hobby has totally made me focus on patience as a skill. :)

Ordered the clam today. Anyone out there willing to throw good thoughts at the universe in my name, it'd be appreciated :)

Back