Mystery Algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SaltwaterNoobs

Went on vacation for a week, came home to find an algae bloom (totally expected that to happen). But couldn't figure out what this green algae was. They're in spots all over the glass and back of tank, and look like itty bitty lily pads. Remind me of coraline a bit, but I thought coraline was purple? Any advice or help in identifying this is appreciated. It's not a nuisance in my tank (yet). Just want to know if it's okay algae, or a sign of something bad.

Thanks, all!

Mystery Algae 01.jpg

Mystery Algae 02.jpg

Coralline does come in green. I think some times it starts green and then turns to another color eventually, but not 100% sure. I actually had some green coralline and have posted photos of it before. How does this algae feel to the touch?Soft? Slimey?Hard? Give us a bit more details. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could just be Green Coraline. A lot of tanks will develop green coraline before purple. Coraline is commonly found in red, pink, purple and green. Is it hard and encrusting like coraline?

Dangit Krish...stop posting the same time I do....

Could just be Green Coraline. A lot of tanks will develop green coraline before purple. Coraline is commonly found in red, pink, purple and green. Is it hard and encrusting like coraline?

Dangit Krish...stop posting the same time I do....

Haha! Sorry dude! Saw the thread sitting idle for too long so thought i'd reply and give it a nudge. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never "pet" my algae before o_O I will do so once I get the opportunity (currently chasing a 10-month-old around).

If it *is* coraline, that's the type of algae you want, yes?

Yep that's the good stuff/ If it is green coraline then red and purple are generally quick to follow

Some like coraline, some dont. It is not a bad kind, Unless you have to scrape it off your tank. Some even say it is a good sign your system is doing good. Some say it covers their rock so thick that it will reduce the filtration capabilities of the rock by clogging its pores. It also depletes the calcium in the water column.
So that is just a few cons of coraline. I am sure there are as many pros, if not more. You will have to decide if it is good or not.LOL
Anybody else?????
Peppie

I've never "pet" my algae before o_O I will do so once I get the opportunity (currently chasing a 10-month-old around).

If it *is* coraline, that's the type of algae you want, yes?

I agree with the others. All depends on what you like. It's a personal choice. Some will call it a nuicance if they let it grow out of control. You will see some tanks completely covered in it all over the glass making it hard to see in, but then on the flip side of the coin, it adds color to your tank if you can control it. Here is an example of a rock I had with purple, pink, red and green coralline all over it.

I like the look of it. It uses up some of the stuff your corals use as well (calcium, alk etc) so the more that grows, the more these things will be used up and possibly will need replenishing more often or on a schedule, but it can be a really appealing look. I have a coralline article I did if you want to take a peek which can be found in the link below. There is a shot in the article of Charlie's tank with everything covered in coralline if you just let it run wild. Take a peek. :)
Reef Frontiers - Coralline Algae

Oh wow, what a beautiful peace, krish! And I had no idea I had red coraline in my tank (after seeing images, I realize that's what's been growing like crazy on several pieces of my liverock, so W00T!). Well I will take it as a good sign (and will still feel it later, just to make sure)! I've been scraping it off already as I see it on the glass. Was just curious what kind it was. I've always loved the look of coraline, so I will probably let it grow. I do weekly level tests, including alk, calcium, etc, so I can easily monitor the levels and replenish with buffers and water changes as they get low.

Thanks for all the answers, guys! So glad it's a good kind of algae!! I had really bad hair algae in another tank and thought it was a "good thing." :Cry:

Last edited:
Oh wow, what a beautiful peace, krish! And I had no idea I had red coraline in my tank (after seeing images, I realize that's what's been growing like crazy on several pieces of my liverock, so W00T!). Well I will take it as a good sign (and will still feel it later, just to make sure)! I've been scraping it off already as I see it on the glass. Was just curious what kind it was. I've always loved the look of coraline, so I will probably let it grow. I do weekly level tests, including alk, calcium, etc, so I can easily monitor the levels and replenish with buffers and water changes as they get low.

Thanks for all the answers, guys! So glad it's a good kind of algae!! I had really bad hair algae in another tank and thought it was a "good thing." :Cry:

Hair algae once made me quit the hobby and go back to freshwater it beat me up so bad :lol: Came back a year later determined and these wonderful people here taught me a lot and still learning. :)

Question

Krish, it sounds like I am in the same boat you were before you quit this hobby. Is GHA a part of the Nitrogen Cycle?

I agree with Sas! The reason most people have GHA when first setting up is because their tanks aren't fully matured. When the tank has completed its initial cycle (where all traces of ammonia and nitrite have dropped off to zero and remain there) nitrates usually start to rise which take a bit longer to work off. During this time, nitrates accumilate as the tank tries to find it's balance and mature. However, it is during this time where nitrates are present, that most algae's will begin to grow as nitrates are one of their primary food sources. You get rid of all nitrates, and it starves. This is the reason people will set up refugiums and harvest an algae in there to outcompete nuicance algae's they have growing in the tank like GHA. They will allow the algae to grow in the fuge out of sight where it will use up the available excess nutrients in the water column. :)

BTW, Welcome to RF!! :welcome:

The battle GHA cont.

So should I change anything with my tank via remove fish and wait for GHA to starve out or keep everything as is and let in run? I was advised to take out my fish cut off my skimmer and discontinue water changes and continue my regular photo period and fresh RO/DI H2O top offs. This makes no sense to me as to why I should do this. I come from the Fresh water side of the house and this violates everyrule of thumb that I know in regards to an algae bloom. But my friend who has a successful reef told me this is part of the N cycle and an algae bloom (GHA) must take place inorder to complete the cycle. So I am taking his advice thus far but I am a lil irritated with the fact that I still don't understand the why. Do you feel me? Oh and thank you for the warm welcome. Again folks I am (NTTH) new to the hobby and my tank was birthed/started on Aug 5th 2011. Any other suggestions on this? I am thrilled about the feed back I am getting.

You don't need to remove your fish. This is going to drop the bio load and cause a depletion of the beneficial bacteria as there would be no need for them to grow into larger colonies. You can cut back you lighting cycle to remove the amount of photosynthetic fuel the GHA has and perform water changes with frsh salt water made of RODI water. The fresh water changes will help reduce the nitrates in your system which are a source of fuel. Continue using RODI to perform fresh water top off for evaporation. If possible you can also remove a rock and manually remove the GHA in a bucket of saltwater. This will help your clean up crew keep up with the growth since after GHA gets too long the majority of cleaners will not mess with it.

So should I change anything with my tank via remove fish and wait for GHA to starve out or keep everything as is and let in run? I was advised to take out my fish cut off my skimmer and discontinue water changes and continue my regular photo period and fresh RO/DI H2O top offs. This makes no sense to me as to why I should do this. I come from the Fresh water side of the house and this violates everyrule of thumb that I know in regards to an algae bloom. But my friend who has a successful reef told me this is part of the N cycle and an algae bloom (GHA) must take place inorder to complete the cycle. So I am taking his advice thus far but I am a lil irritated with the fact that I still don't understand the why. Do you feel me? Oh and thank you for the warm welcome. Again folks I am (NTTH) new to the hobby and my tank was birthed/started on Aug 5th 2011. Any other suggestions on this? I am thrilled about the feed back I am getting.

GHA won't starve out, as it dies off it consumes itself and continues, not changing water comes from the bad old days of no ro/di water and tap water is usually pretty loaded with nutrients in several forms. On the bright side... the GHA is consuming P04 in the rock so regular removal of the GHA is exporting nutrient, keep an eye on it and you will see it change color, when it starts to lighten up its time to siphon it up with a small diameter tube like 1/4 '' airline

Thank You

Now that makes sense. I am glad I asked. So I did a 10% water change today added some more water circulation with a Korilla pump and the fish I had out for two days I placed back in there. I could not believe how much stuff flew out of the rocks when i added that extra pump. I did my water change about 30 minutes after. Also swaped out my sump sock for a nice clean one. Hopfully this remove a bit of the source. I will post any changes, and hopfully this all helps another bro or sis out there in the same struggle. Again thank youo. BTW is feeding once a day too much? Should I maybe cut back util this algae is under control?

Back