Nano skimmer???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

crizzleb

Just got my nanocube 28g LED in the mail today and was wondering if anyone had any input as to what type of skimmer works well with them? I am trying to get it to fit in the back of the aquarium slot where the media goes (I dont use media). Suggestions? Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks,
Chris

The Aquaticlife 115 mini skimmer might work in that. I have one and it pulls out some good skimmate. I know Rob over at A Red Sea Aquarium usually carries them.

Have you considered going skimmerless? A lot of the nano-reefers do it (myself included), and surprisingly, it works out great! Just do the water changes :D

Hmm haven't ever thought about skimmerless. I will have to look up the dimensions of the aquatic life one I have read some reviews and I have read a couple posts saying it took it a while to start working. Did you have this problem edwing?? What do you use yours on a nano as well?

Hmm haven't ever thought about skimmerless. I will have to look up the dimensions of the aquatic life one I have read some reviews and I have read a couple posts saying it took it a while to start working. Did you have this problem edwing?? What do you use yours on a nano as well?

nor should you think about going skimmerless in a nano...
you want a powerful filter that will make up for the fact that
you have virtually no buffering capacity in a nano, so that if things go south, you can clean it up quick.
been doing nanos for over 10 years now, skimmerless and with skimmers.
also, all of the skimmers designed for use inside an AIO are mostly shyte...

i doubt the aquatic life skimmer will fit in your AIO, the tunze 9002 might...
i know hydor has some new internal nano skimmer, but havent seen it for sale yet.
can you measure and post what space you have to accomodate a skimmer??
your best bet is to use a hob skimmer, but not doable if your using a stock hood over your aio.

btw...is that sylva in your sig??? looks like it... that guy is insane....lol

Last edited:
Think of a skimmer as a filter that actually removes waste from the system. Once it is in the cup it is out of the water column. Canister filters will just move waste to the canister and wait for you to remove it the next time you clean the filter. Only diligant daily water changes can even come close to what a skimmer can do, even then the waste is only removed at the actual time of the waterchange. A skimmer works all day everyday (ideally!)

No, I think you should research skimmerless and decide from there. The reason being, skimmers often strip desireable components from the tank as well as undesireable components. In a tank that small, it can be detrimental. You can compensate for that with dosing, but again we get right back into nanos being somewhat more delicate than larger tanks and it's easy to overdose and crash your tank. Frequent partial water changes do a great job, and replenish desireable components at the same time.
And since the nano skimmers often don't work as well as the larger ones, it really wasn't that effective anyway. Meh, try a skimmer, and if you don't like it, just try going without.

Any reason you couldn’t put a HOT skimmer on it. If it’s in a place where the back is not exposed it could give you lots of options.

nor should you think about going skimmerless in a nano...
you want a powerful filter that will make up for the fact that
you have virtually no buffering capacity in a nano, so that if things go south, you can clean it up quick.
been doing nanos for over 10 years now, skimmerless and with skimmers.
also, all of the skimmers designed for use inside an AIO are mostly shyte...

i doubt the aquatic life skimmer will fit in your AIO, the tunze 9002 might...
i know hydor has some new internal nano skimmer, but havent seen it for sale yet.
can you measure and post what space you have to accomodate a skimmer??
your best bet is to use a hob skimmer, but not doable if your using a stock hood over your aio.

btw...is that sylva in your sig??? looks like it... that guy is insane....lol

Ok so I just got home and measured the area where it would go. Its about 3" (front to back of tank) 4.5" (Left to right) And about 13 inches deep. I have included a picture so you might be able to better understand me lol. I have thought about using HOB but unsure on which on would fit/work for the space back there. It would work with my setup I think. The hood doesnt cover everywhere. In the middle section of that back that plastic part would also be gone. I have thought of maybe trying to see if a AquaC nano would fit. but I have been out of the saltwater business for 3-4 years so I am unsure of what is good these days/works well.

P.S That is Rampage Jackson when he first knocked out Chuch Liddell. But I agree silva is insane lol

ahhh, sweet...there's no lid over the filter area... i say get a decent hob skimmer, the new aquamaxx hob skimmer for $199 is cool, it uses sicce syncra pumps, pinwheel impeller, and has a bubble plate:
http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx...ein_Skimmers-AquaMaxx-UJ1151-FIPSHONW-vi.html

and yep, these are made by JNS, the same company that makes skimmers for WM.

btw, the aqua c remora,urchin, remora nano...all complete garbage IMO... dont waste the money...

Last edited:
I will definately check those out! Are there any more brands I shoud look at if I want to compare?? I have noticed the flow isnt the greatest in the tank, any reccomendations as to what kind of powerhead I can put inside the tank to get some flow??

I was thinking today about live rock. Did I buy too much? I have a 28 gallon nanocube and have roughly 40 lbs of live rock which equals about 1.43lbs per gallon. Am I over doing it? I have never had a tank this small.

Back