nano tank crashed everything dead

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

daReefPeep

stingray
yesterday I tested the water in our nano tank that we have been cycling for a couple months now. The levels were almost perfect except for a small amount of nitrate. I did a small water change and went out to buy this great pair of clowns. I got home acclimated them for an hour and a half. I put some beneficial bacteria in the tank on the back it says to put in 10 ml per 10 gallons so I did that. It is made for salt and freshwater. Then I added the clowns. My husband came in and added a and b and some buffer because he thought the ph was a little low. We woke up in the morning and everything was dead. The clownfish damsels most of the hermits starfish bristle worms ect... we took the water in today to get tested and the only thing was our nitrate was a little high. Also our temperature changed about 2 degrees in the evening but all of that stuff wouldnt have died from that. Does anyone have any ideas about what could happen??? Thanks.

well...hmmm...seems like poisoning. Something was overdosed or "off" in what you or your husband put in the water, I would think.

I would look at the bacteria you added. If you were doing everything the same and just added the fish.

Buying bacteria is a waste or worse

I was part of a scientific study at a University testing the bacteria in bottles. Most of those bacteria you buy are snake oil or even "bad" bacteria. They can have additives and stuff to preserve the bacteria. Some have bacteria that will reverse your cycle. Unless you need a tank ready in a day/ a couple days there is no real need to buy these products. If you must Fritz products are the one you want.
Unless you added cupfuls of the a and b that is probably not your problem. Something I found that helps a great deal in nano tanks is Seachem Calcium Advantage. Along with any good buffer, works better than everything else, and I have tried nearly everything else. A temp change of less than 3 degrees F is what you want and of course stable temp is best.
Sorry about your tank and its inhabitants. After waiting like you did next time just try adding the fish and feeding sparingly then add more food to the level you want. Works like a charm. It is the cycling time that makes a difference. Again sorry I know how much that sucks; It happened a couple times to me when I first started. Don't let it discourage you we all have to keep trying and learning.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your responses. It was a wierd thing that happened. I think my tank was ready thats why I was so confused as to why it crashed. The a and b we add in about everyday and the buffer was because the ph was at 8.0 and he wanted to raise it. Something probably fell in who knows.

Thanks bigfutro we have been doing this for a couple years now and even now it is discouraging. I will try that seachem. Thanks!

wow that sucks was it that nice pair that was at indoor ?? has the lookdown come in yet??

How awful and how sad!

When you get your tank stabilized, give me a yell and I'll give you a pair (two young ones) of clown fish. Your choice; Ocellaris or Tomato.

I feel so sorry for your loss.

Vicki

Sorry, Didn't mean to imply you were a newbie. Just seen too many get discouraged an leave the hobby. Again sorry about your loss.
P.S. don't be shy with the seachem I have never overdosed (its pH is 8.3 so as long as the carbonate is there to match it only helps your pH). Even if you carbonate falls the pH seems to say up, calcification probably suffers but the inhabitants do not.

Last edited:
oh no no it wouldnt matter if I just started or not you were giving me great advice thanks a lot!

I'd doubt it was the cause of the crash in this case, but are you testing for calcium and alkalinity? I wouldn't be adding anything without testing. There are many reasons pH can be low, so you may be making a bad situation worse if your levels are already too high to begin with. You can have high calcium and alkalinity and still have low pH.

Hi,

Sorry to read about the crash but that is the problem with small volumes of water when something goes wrong it devistating as opposed to larger volumes which can take some time to give up water chemistry issues, I personally believe nano takes to be a massive challenge for the reasons stated and the main reason I never went down that path at the start of marine keeping, good luck for the next setup.

Regards

Ricki

In my nano I have never dossed anything. With the small water volume wcs should keep everything in check, but every tank is different I guess.

Back