Naso Tangs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pnikiel

I have a Blond Naso Tang in my 125 gal tank. I've had it for a couple of years now. It is a community tank, some amnivores and carnivores in there with it. A varied diet has always kept everyone healthy.

Now the tang has breaks on the fins that run along the top and bottom of its body. I'm sorry I don't know the correct names of these fins. It's colors also seem to be fading. Yet it continues to feed.

Is this a nutrition issue? Help please. My wife loves the fish.

well will need pictures to assist you, do you have a QT tank setup to care for this fish?
WHat are your water parameters? Not asking if they are good asking for exact levels.
I hope to be able to help but need more info...

Matt

It is usually any one or a combination of up to three primary things. It is nutritional as you suspect, it is water quality, or it is environment.

If you have been keeping up on maintenance, water changes, keeping the tank clean, skimming properly, etc., and all equipment is functioning properly then this reduces a water quality concern. Just the same run some of the standard tests, but be aware, especially of an older marine system, of water quality issues that we don't have test kits to measure.

If you're sure there is no concern about water quality, grounding (electrical current), and equipment issues, then we can focus on nutrition.

You can list the foods, supplements and water additives you use and we'll see if it needs improvement. Or, you can go through this post and compare the recommendations to what you're doing and then move towards following the recommendations:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=294728#post294728

We'd need to know what is going into the fish and tank and how frequently the fish is fed. What times/time during the day is the fish fed? Are there no other herbivores there with the fish? We might like to know the size of the fish, too. List the omnivores that you have, too, if you will.

I had a Naso Tang that was unidentifiable. It was totally grey and about to die. After 6 months it was radiant and clearly a Naso elegans.

Regarding environment, there is already a problem. The Naso belongs in an aquarium that is no less than 6 feet long. They need swimming distance (rather than just tank volume). So this fact could be 'catching up' with the fish, creating a space stress on the fish. Under stress fish may lose color, become ragged in appearance, pace the aquarium, or show no signs at all, until the fish prematurely dies. :shock:

I tested water this past weekend. Alk. and CA were good. NO3 and Phos were near zero. Things looked good. However, I have reason to believe that my spectrometer is crap. The salinity reading never changes and that doesn't seem right. Could low salinity be the problem???

Low salinity over an extended period of time has never been attributed to any negative effect on marine ornamental fishes. What happens usually with low salinity is that pH fluctuates or drops. THAT IS a problem.

Have you checked for ammonia and nitrites. I would, just to be sure.

What kind of marine system do you have? Is it FOWLR or a reef or ?

It is the only herbivore in the tank. I have a Niger Triger, a Maroon Clown, a couple of damsels, a six-line wrasse, a dotti-back (sp?) and a Lamark Angel.

I feed a variety of frozen cubes. Maybe not enough vegies? Would increasing the Formula 2 effect the other fish? I suppliment with Cyclopeese, and I add Selcon 2 or 3 times a week. And my wife loves to feed green dried seaweed (Ocean Nutrition) every other day or so. Should she use other colors?

The fish is about the size of my hand, probably six inches, and it's the second largest fish in the tank. The Trigger is bigger. But there has never been any fighting or bickering between the two.

I have several species of soft coral and just added a hynophora which is doing well.

Water parameters seems good. The possible exception, as previously mentioned, might be salinity. But no one else is suffering.

I tested water this past weekend. Alk. and CA were good. NO3 and Phos were near zero. Things looked good. However, I have reason to believe that my spectrometer is crap. The salinity reading never changes and that doesn't seem right. Could low salinity be the problem???

This tells us nothing about the water chemestry, it is important to know the exact levels of your water parameters...

Matt

A Tang of that size should be eating about one 8x8 sheet of algae every day. It needs to be in a larger tank.

It is definitely suffering from lack of veggies, lack of vitamins, and space stress. You're just now seeing what space stress can do. It's a chronic rather than an acute reaction to the environment, which most aquarists deny or don't acknowledge.

As Matt points out, you are not supplying us with actual test results and parameters. So, there could still be an issue there.

Formula 2 and many other prepared foods that are marked 'for herbivores' are not for herbivores, but they are for omnivores. If you read the label and the first foods listed aren't veggies, then there is too much fish flesh/meat in the product.

Provide daily algae. Vary the colors.

Selcon is a fat additive. I don't see any vitamin supplement. You need to begin to use a vitamin supplement. See that link I provided for suggestions. See that link for how to include more greens in the fish's diet. I can't make any other suggestions without knowing more about the water quality in detail.

Lastly, move the fish to a 180 or larger aquarium -- one with at least 6 full feet in length. At its current size, it would probably be better to move it to a longer aquarium (e.g., a 300). Even if you improve the nutrition, the fish is still being space stressed. :(

Thanks Lee. The fish is in a 125 tank that is six feet long. It swims the full length. You think it's time to look around for someone with a bigger tank to give it a new home?

It definately hasn't been getting enough seaweed. I'll stop at the LFS tonight and get some Vita Chem or something similar.

I wasn't able to give you guys the specific results of my last water check last night. I'll do a full work-up tonight or tomorrow.

I think the 6 foot tank is okay for the next couple of years. It will need/prefer something longer come the 10's.

Let us know when you have test results. :)

I just had the lfs test the water.

Alk: 4. mq/L
Cal: 380
Mg: 1300
NO3: <5
Phos: <.03
no amonia

So I'm going with the nutrition theory. I've been given daily seaweed (different colors) for a few days now, added some vitamins. The fish has its color back. I think it's pulling through.

Thanks for all the advise. You folks offer a great service here.

You're welcome. It is good to have a positive ending! :)

From the numbers you've provided, your calcium is not in balance with the alkalinity.

Good luck! We're here to help.

hi
i have a blonde naso and when i bought her . her fins were in bad shape and tail was splitting. bought from someone who was not doing things right. did not want her to die. . i bought her home and started feeding her a piece of leaf lettuce everyday day . and a small sheet of dried seaweed . and bought the all green flake food and mixed it in with reg. food i use. within a week you could never tell anything was ever wrong with her.

Back