Nate's 40 breeder build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nate21887

So I'm moving soon and my current 120g isn't gonna make the fit into the new homestead so a downsize is in order. After a lot of research on what I want to keep and reading a ton of build threads on forums I decided on this...

IMAG0359.jpg

A used 40 breeder setup I purchased on a deal at a LFS

As it was a used setup I decided an initial leak test was in order...

IMAG0366.jpg

IMAG0367.jpg

All went well so on with the progression, ordering my overflow and return kit this week hopefuly. Taking apart the DIY stand that came with it as its a poor design and not to my standards of what I'm wanting to do.

looks like a fun project, cant wait to see the pics of the progression, bummer you cant take the big tank with you...

Looks like a great start. You can't beat a 40 breeder when it comes to small tanks. Good square footage with those tanks.

Thanks for the replies guys, I got a question from another thread about the 40 so I'm bringing it over to the build thread...
It was asked what fish I'm gonna keep, I'm not fully decided yet but I got a small list this far..

Percula clown (pair) possibly Picasso
Firefish
Gobie (yellow watchman or yashe haze)
Blue green chromis (3)
Banghia cardinals (undecided still)

The chromis are coming over from the 120g but that's all I have planned at the moment. Im wanting to keep the stock list kinda minimal as not to over crowd the tank.

So just a small update: The stand was built around the sump tank trapping it in, so that had to be taken apart. Glad I had to do it though because the stand was built pretty poorly, probably avoided a big disaster there. Next step is gonna be leak testing and cleaning the sump sometime this week as well as ordering my overflow/return kits online.

You have some big Cajones doing a leak test in the house, lol....Looking forward to your updates!

It's cool I'm moving out this weekend lol I was pretty positive it was good, more so I was just anxious to do something with it until I get more pieces

Update: I traded my 120 gallon this weekend for this...

IMAG0372.jpg

IMAG0373.jpg

Here is a picture of the rock scape for the moment
IMAG0374.jpg

So this is a temporary home for everything until the 40 is up and running. In with the trade I also got a ASM G2 skimmer and a ATO system, so that is gonna be for the 40 too.
Caught a great deal at the LFS, it had a building shut down sale and marked everything half off so picked up the rest of the equipment that could be bought locally. So now to order the overflow kit, build the stand, and order the glass for the sump. Anyone got advice on how to accurately measure the inside tank dimensions for the glass dividers in a 20L?

Ok so picked up the glass for my baffles, anybody have tips or tricks to hold them in place to silicone them. Also getting ready to go get plumbing supplies for it and need advice on how to connect the pump to the vinyl tubing, is there a fitting I need or just put the line on the threads with a hose clamp?

So I got my glass cut and all materials to build the sump. Went to home depot to get plumbing supplies for the return and go figure they didn't have a single piece I need. So looking like I may have to order my miscellaneous pieces online. Hopefuly have the sump built later tonight, pics to follow...

Ok so picked up the glass for my baffles, anybody have tips or tricks to hold them in place to silicone them. Also getting ready to go get plumbing supplies for it and need advice on how to connect the pump to the vinyl tubing, is there a fitting I need or just put the line on the threads with a hose clamp?

I used a couple of of plastic Squares taped to the bottom of my sump and the first baffle set against them to get the first one lined up and vertical. From there i used 1" pieces of styrofoam to bring the second baffle 1" off the bottom and space it 1" from the first baffle. 3rd baffle can be be placed using the squares again and 1" of styrofoam between the 2nd and 3rd baffles. Hope that makes sense.

Yes it made sense...I got to baffles in just need to make the bubble trap now...been raining so I'm just waiting on a nice day to finish up.

The rock is a year or so old now, well at least that's how long I've had it, most is getting transferred to the 40B.

Well weather has slowed this build, waiting on a nice day to get outside and drill this thing. So I have ran into a once the overflow is drilled and placed does the pvc just hang from the over flow? Or is there some kind of other support I'm missing?

Back