Need a lighting expert to verify this please.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I will admit not being one to read the long thread from "Grim Reaper" listed above... but my concern would be that you have such a high stock level of SPS in your tank... the shock of switching them over to the T5's less intense lighting... may end up with a very high die-off rate on your tank guy.

Hopefully, some people with larger tanks like you have (180), that have direct experience with those T-5 lights on an SPS dominated tank... will show up here and give you some 1st hand experience, not just "paperwork" knowledge.

You are on track GBR.

The entire key to the T-5 setup is the reflector. If you dont skimp on reflectors (i would recomend a single uncomprimised reflector per bulb if you have space), you will be easily increaseing intensity over your halides, while useing a fraction of the energy.

ED. No die off will occur at all, T5's Have greater light intensity then MH if he runs like the Grim setup.

Phys. I agree about reflectors. They are the Key to a T5 setup. Only the IC reflectors were tested in that thread and that s what I would go with for right now.

gbr. You are tracking. without a doubt there are some factors that will change. 1. you wont have that shimmer MH put out on a Tank , But for the most part its an easy transition. Just beware when changing over the light will much greater then your current setup. so be sure to gradually increase time on compared to the current lighting you will have. So good luck man. Glad to see we could help,

Back