Need advice on a double end balast.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nope, but IMO I'd do two 250's instead, anyway. Not that this ballast will work or not, I bet it may have issues with certain types of lamps, hard to say with no experience on them. They are cheap & may work well, here's a bump for you.

I contacted Hellolights and gave them my tank specs. They recommended two 150's. I'm also installing two t5's, one 10k and an actinic.

I guess electronic or magnetic would be another issue as well. Would there be a significant difference in energy cost?

Well usually electronic ballast are more efficient, quieter & produce less heat. Some say they won't produce as much power as tar ballast but that I don't think is a great difference.
I see nothing wrong with their recommendations but maybe if you ever decide to go sps in your tank or clams then you'd probably want more light.

The ballast you linked to on ebay is just that, a ballast. Does not come with a capacitor or ignitor. It is also an M81 which is a pulse start ballast. Pulse starts are good but have a limited supply of bulbs as probe start is the standard. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Regards,

HQI's run the XM20K Perfectly! lots of people use them, great color. Ati Blue+ t5s will give you Nice colors on corals.

Back