need help ASAP

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

peddy10181

i just got up to feed my fish, and i dumped my coffee into the tank. what should i do. are my fish going to die? its a 75gallon tank i was useing temp with a stingray, 3clown, and like 5 damials.. what can i do help ASAP.

Water change, and run some carbon. In my biolab they induced caffine to fish in small doses in a aquarium. The effects where increase heart rate metabolism and respiration.
In my term we just saw the fish do several laps in the tank. keep us posted.

i just got up to feed my fish, and i dumped my coffee into the tank. what should i do. are my fish going to die? its a 75gallon tank i was useing temp with a stingray, 3clown, and like 5 damials.. what can i do help ASAP.

Oopsy, shouldn't hurt the tank and like Herefishyfishy said there are a lot worse things than coffee. Was it at least a good blend?

The only bad thing about coffee in that much water is the oil. Make sure to skim the surface as the oil may not be pulled out with the water change. I killed a whole aquarium once when my son used my measuring utensils for the fish to measure some vegatable oil for salad dressing the few drops of oil covered the surface of a breeder tank and stopped the gas exchange and the fish suffocated. There were only two fish and i was just using circulation pumps. But it taught me how bad oil spills are and one of the worst is it seals the surface. The oil probably isnt a problem in your case if you use a paper filter for making the coffee. Just a thought. Check the surface.

cant see any thing in the tank. but every thing still seems to be alive. i put in 16OZ of carbon. and got 16OZ more, when should i change out the carbon?

the coffee was pumpkin coffee with suger free creamer. they where going cazzy when it 1st went in. but they seem ok now.

You are probably fine. They probably enjoyed the seasonal blend and the fish realized it was going to be a while before they got it again that is why they were going crazy, lol. Since you have done everything else I would make sure the surface is clean and free of oil and you are good to go.

I was posting the same time as you. Is your hob working now? That is the danger with oil. Seals the surface and with no added oxygen things suffocate.

Find out why the skimmer stopped. Did it start working after the water change? If it started working again my guess you are ok and it stopped because the water tension changed enough to effect the draw of the water pulling air into the pump. Check your parameter of your water as soon as you can especially ph and water tension. Put some water from the tank in a test tube and see if the top has a "nice" curver or is it flat. Soap will also affect water tension a drop or two of soap in an aquarium has terrible inpact. So if you have chemicals on your hand and put them in the tank that transfer those chemicals to the tank in small quantities. I have started going to using gloves and an extension gripper. I am putting my hand in the tank less and less to avoid introducing contaminants.

I probably would because your system is now getting less "air" than it is used.

The lack of bubbles most likely didn't mean the skimmer stopped, I think he means no foam skimmate production when the coffee broke the surfactant action.

Shoud be no problem, with the water change and running carbon, will be back to normal by tomorrow.

well the fish are still swimming around. still cant realy see into the tank and the skimmer is not bubleing. but the fish all seem happy

Just Remember: nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. The same goes whether good or bad. If you are still worried about the coffee impact, do another water change. Do NOT however break the "rule" about mixing and dumping In too quickly. That could turn into a case of the treatment being worse than the disease.

The oil from the coffeE was probably very minimal but a little can do a lot. I would suggest you check your skimmer again in the morning (after you are fully awake) and see if it's working properly. If normal, all is well. If not, plan on cleaning it well with a thorough water rinse to cleanse of all possible oil residue.

Last edited:
Back