Need help with a remote fuge design

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

That parking space is looking more and more crowded all the time. Maybe its time to move the shop over to the tank side of the garage.:p

Hey Ben,

Good to see you the other day! I plan to post some pics soon. I have also been thinking hard about a fuge but I wanted something much smaller basically just to grow 'pods'. Since I am seriously limited on space under my display it will have to integrate nicely.

Seems like you have already got some good design/layout advice. I was thinking of going with sugar sand (same as my display but much deeper). But,,, it wouldn't hurt to experiment with some coarse sand... Hey, your fuge is big enough for a two or three (easy) environments. Maybe you will learn something from the comparison. For some reason though... I have to think it makes alot of sense to combine the sand and rubble and chaeto to get a more 'real' ecosystem thus allowing at least the different micro-beings a chance to comingle :razz:

I think, obviously, the alternating light cycle makes sense, and a low power system at that. I like the heater idea if you need it... I would measure temp vs. time and compare to main to see if you really need it. If not... it is just one more thing that needs maintenance, adds cost, and could result in tragedy at worst.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hey Mark - good to run into you too. I/m Making a little more progress here.

Stained the stand to match the stand of the display
Added a little platform for the fuge
plumped in the new 40 breeder w/ new lights (nemo's seem happier) and a couple ball valves so that when it's time to put the fuge online, it'll be just a switch of a ball valve.
I found another rose bulb in my sump (surprise):badgrin::badgrin:

Here are some pics (Oh and Duane, couldn't agree with you more about the space issues. I think I'll try to move all of my tools and such over this weekend).

2053295516_66b96d3eb0.jpg

Ignore the two Brute's stacked on each other. I'm still trying to figure out a way to add some extra makeup water storage capacity without paying $225 for one of those big boy graduated containers.
2052510931_cdb16321c5.jpg

and yes one of the anemone's has temparirily stuck himself to the side of the chaeto ball (weirdo)

2053295972_383e35ec66.jpg

Now it's time to put some more thought into the fuge. Chambered approach is sounding pretty good about now. I've got some old tanks that I can cut up to make the partitions, or I have some black plexi on hand too that I could use although I've heard plexi doesn't always stick to glass that well.

If i went chambered, what are your guy's ideas on how many sections, placement, and what to put in each chamber? sketches would help if you ahve the time/patience..

That frag tank looks so nice with that blue background. Nice work. Guys like you make my set up look so ghetto. And Im a carpenter of all things. Short cut willy. Please quit making me look so cheap and lazy. :D

That frag tank looks so nice with that blue background. Nice work. Guys like you make my set up look so ghetto. And Im a carpenter of all things. Short cut willy. Please quit making me look so cheap and lazy. :D

Oh stop it. You're handy work is what inspired me in the first place. :D I do have to say that I like the spray painted blue background. Anyhow, see you soon.

Anyhow.. what do you think about this chambered approach..

open to any suggestions/critics/ideas...

why do you wanna put sand in there dood?
and what are the cookies suppose to be? :confused::p:D

i think it'd be better without sand and with different type of macroalgae, but that's just me :p ...i'm starting to hate sand :eek::rolleyes::p

why do you wanna put sand in there dood?
and what are the cookies suppose to be? :confused::p:D

i think it'd be better without sand and with different type of macroalgae, but that's just me :p ...i'm starting to hate sand :eek::rolleyes::p

well, I've been doing a lot of reading lately, and there are a lot of benefits to sand, but basically it boils down to three main reasons for me.

• for all of the good things that grow in sand that can act as a natural food source and for natural filtration: beneficial bacteria, segmented worms, mollusks, amphipods, copepods, mysis shrimp, zooplankton etc
  • Sand can act as an alkaline bank and buffers PH
  • and lastly, for the natural nitrate reduction effects it can have

Oh.. and the "cookies" is supposed to be live rubble rock... he he...

Elliot came over yesterday for a little design consult. He recomended two baffles. both with slits in them that rest towards the top of the sand bed to allow for water flow over top of the sand.

2062327317_e4bd612e13.jpg

Here's an illustration. Tell me what you think...

Also... I talked to Steven yesterday who told me he's had good luck in growing chaeto with Power compacts. I have an old 2 * 55W Power compact unit on hand that all i'd have to do would be to get some new bulbs. Any bulb recomendations out there? I've got the option of 10ks, 6700k, 50/50 (10k + actinic). let me know you're thoughts

PF4132_99.jpg

Last edited:
I Have Pc's To My Refuge They Just Need More Light Time Then A M.h. Like 12 Hours I Turn It On On My Way Out The Door And Off On Way To Bed !!! And The Grass Is Growing Well ....and Yeah Tank/work Shop Side A Plus So U Know Can Park On Other Side W/o No Cryin L.o.l.jk;

Well.. we've had a little setback folks (chuckle).. Duane stopped by for an hour and as we were drilling the back of the the 55g for the bulkhead, we learned the glass was tempered.. ahhh!!!!

and man was the cracking sound loud!!!

2063034739_7e8d3eb7fc.jpg

and to think... If I had only chosen to drill the side and not the back, there wouldn't be any worries. This picture shows it all. ha ha.. I wish they would have to print an inscription on the side if it was tempered.

2063035587_7136f36cb3.jpg

SOO....... Anyone have any extra 55s laying around :D:D:D

Are you still mad at me?

No, seriously. Ben knew I felt bad and was real quick to point out that the only thing difference between my breaking it and him was that I was the one holding the drill. I was very dissapointing for both of us. Ive seen build threads where people have drilled the back of an AGA 180 with a drill press with no problem so I was quite shocked (and scared) when it exploded. We were both caught off guard. The explosion was very loud. What baffles me is how the hole was drilled over half way through the glass when it happened. From what I have read time and time again is that tempered glass will shatter upon contact.
Sorry Ben. Ill keep an eye out for a nice cheap acrylic on Craigs list.

Because U Are Soooo Good It Made It Half Way !!!no No The Truth Is That The Bottom Part Had The Pressure And U Finally Made It Far Enuff Into It To Release The Pressure

Are you still mad at me?

No, seriously. Ben knew I felt bad and was real quick to point out that the only thing difference between my breaking it and him was that I was the one holding the drill. I was very dissapointing for both of us. Ive seen build threads where people have drilled the back of an AGA 180 with a drill press with no problem so I was quite shocked (and scared) when it exploded. We were both caught off guard. The explosion was very loud. What baffles me is how the hole was drilled over half way through the glass when it happened. From what I have read time and time again is that tempered glass will shatter upon contact.
Sorry Ben. Ill keep an eye out for a nice cheap acrylic on Craigs list.

OMG.. Yes! I am so wicked pissed right now! you could probably tell how how upset I was after breaking out in laughter once it happened :D:D:D... totally 100% kidding of course.

Seriously I could never be upset about anything like that. And truthfully, that may have been a blessing in disguise-- I was always a little weary of that tank anyway from the initial bowing, to the cracked center brace, to the lizard scraped silicon, etc..

Thanks guys for all of the posts & ideas! I've got a lead on an AGA 55 for $50, or a 30g regular for free (thanks Steve!). just need to decide what would fit my application the best.

Back