Need help with a remote fuge design

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks guys. Can hardly wait to get it hooked up, but after your advice I'll test first to see where i'm at in a week.

Now all I need to do is make a decision on the lights. You guys have given me some good options and I think i'll run to home depot or Lowes today to see what's available locally. My options in order of preference are as follows (stangly enough they fall in descending order of price - does this mean I'm a cheapo? don't answer that - rhetorical question - I already know the answer:D):

• 2 65w or 75W hanging CF 5100k floodlights (as seen on melev's reef) cost $25
  • 2' electric shoplight with 5000k T-8s (from lights of america). I'm having trouble finding availability of the 2' one so not able to find cost.
  • Utilize existing 55w/65w PC ballast + purchase 2 6700k or 7100k bulbs 9(total cost $40)
  • Lights of America 9266 65W Outdoor flourex fixture + bulb (as seen here, total cost $45)

I was at Lowes yesterday and saw a guy with a case of T-8 6500K florescent bulbs. You can borrow my fixture to see if it works for you if you want. Its almost brand new. I vividly recall paying less then $25 for the whole setup new.

Ben,

This is what's on my sump:
234971_front200.jpg

I used a fluorescent bulb thats 23W=90W and the only Kelvin Rating I can find is "day light white" lol. It was $9 for a pack of two in the clearance bin. The Clamp Light was another $7. I've seen good chaeto growth from it and I actually have corraline growing in my sump now.

This picture was the day I hooked it up.

Well, turns out I just happend to have 3 5100k CF bulbs and a clip on fixture in my pile-o-junk, so that made the lighting decision a lot easier :D:D:D

Here we go!!! I'll test it out after a week and see where were at, but I think we're in business baby!

2082575280_f35e1e9dfb.jpg

Also, here's kind of a fun link to a u-tube video that shows the mj1200 doing it's job tumbling the chaeto! Click here if interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JFIlYBmUGY

Back