need help with nitrates

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mangroves remove nitrates and each time you toss out a leaf your tossing some nitrates but they a not efficient enough to help. They do make a great looking addition. Vodka dosing feeds bacteria that you already have and causes a population increase. It also feed cyano and diatoms but will help with nitrates. Sulfer denitrifiers are great at removing nitrates and are the most efficient even more so than any skimmer. They are prone to crashing if the power ever goes out or the flow stops for some reason. They also should be filtered with a sock or prefilter so that they dont build up with mulm and produce sulfide gas.

Id get them down much further by fixing the real problem prior to trying any of the above.

Don

Your tank needs a good cleanig and all the associated equipment and to siphon the top of the sand bed, followed by 2 large 75 % water changes after the cleaning, one that day and one the next with a good dose of activated carbon after each water change. This should bring the NO3- down to 2-3 ppm.

I use to do 95 % WC every month and did so for like 30 years. Jut try to keep the parameters about the same for the WC water, temp, salintiy , pH and Alk. Then try to stop what ever it is you aere doing so they do not go up. As Don stated "Id get them down much further by fixing the real problem prior to trying any of the above."

I always think trate probs are associated with sand beds, low flow and your water source. If you are getting lower trate levels with water changes i'd bet on the sand bed. One way you'll know is if your done with the h20 changes and your trates raise back up shortly.

what should i do then take all thew sand out i barley have any sand any way maybe 1"-2"

Well, if its the sand that is causing the issue i would remove it. I had to do that once and it was the worst thing i've had to do since i've been in the hobby, but it saved my tank from crashing. But i would see what happens with these water changes first as that is a last resort.

If its the sand with a shallow sand bed its a maintenance or lack of flow issue. The sand itself does not go bad. It collects detritus. Since it is shallow there is only bacteria that converts nitrites to nitrates. Simply taking care of a SSB eliminates this problem. Stir it and see if its full of junk. If so vacuum it using a gravel vac. Return the water to a filter sock in your sump to collect the junk. When your done you will have clean sand.

Don

You said this in your first post...

i feed a shrimp frozen food mixture that i make about 1 or 2 times aday.

How are you making the food mixture and with what ingredients? Have you dissolved some in water and tested for nitrates? Many times store bought seafood can have preservatives sprayed on them to extend their shelf life. You might be putting the nitrates right back in every time you feed.

You said this in your first post...

How are you making the food mixture and with what ingredients? Have you dissolved some in water and tested for nitrates? Many times store bought seafood can have preservatives sprayed on them to extend their shelf life. You might be putting the nitrates right back in every time you feed.

just shrimp and frozen formula food.

i will have to test it to see if thats it.I havent fed that stuff for a few weeks now though.

they are staying at about 10

just shrimp and frozen formula food.

i will have to test it to see if thats it.I havent fed that stuff for a few weeks now though.

they are staying at about 10

Granted... large, multiple water changes will reduce nitrates. But seems kinda coincidental that the nitrates are going down at the same time you've stopped feeding the homemade food.

Back