Need help with pump cavitation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fishead77

Dork
Need help with EVIL BUBBLES!!

So I got my new Current chiller hooked up and running, yeah!! It works great, no more hot tank. I have an Iwaki 30 running it with a 1 1/2" over the top feeding it, down to a 1" at the pump. The chiller is 1/2" so on the output of the pump it goes from 1" to 1/2" through the chiller and back to 3/4" to the tank. I am getting lot's of bubbles in the tank from the output. Any ideas? I was told by the LFS (Kevin) that the pump must be closer to the source (over the top tube). Could I put that behind the tank at the bottom of the over the top tube and run 1/2" flex tube all the way to the chiller?

Last edited:
wrightme43 said:
more than likely the step up from 1/2 to 3/4.

Is kind of a odd way to pumb a chiller. Also that is one HOT pump to feed a chiller.

Don

Fishead77(reminds me of soup,cool name) have you tried restricting the outflo with your hand them releasing, if its not sucking air then its just trapped air, maybe you can joggle it out

wrightme43 said:
more than likely the step up from 1/2 to 3/4.
Unfortunately it's not trapped air because it is continous and keeps coming. If you have a different idea on how to plumb it I'm all ears. Do you think I should stay with the 1/2" all the way to the return? Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I tried running 1/2" all the from the chiller to the tank, didn't help. So I cut a hole in my sump and cabinet and ran 7" of pipe to the pump through the chiller and back to the tank. NO MORE BUBBLES, yeaaah! I had a Eheim 1250 submersable in the sump, it is gone. Now the Iwaki 30 is running the sump and chiller and the water is really moving now. :)

Back