Need LED help from the guru's - you know who you are

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fall0n

Alright, I've seen some ( in person as well ) well done diy led setups. So I need to augment my current setup (main tank is a 72 bowfront) with some additional par/lumens. Currently I have 4 48' x1w aquaticlife led slim lines - New details and pricing for the modular AquaticLife LED strips . 2 10k and 2 blue actint's.

Now most of my corals ( I have a mix bag of soft and hard corals ) are doing well, slow growing, pollips out/active. I definitely can tell that most of them need a bit more par to get them really growing as well as to bring a bit more color into them.

So what I'm looking at as the other 4 strips are about 1" wide and 48" long, is to use rapidled's 1.4" x 48" heatsinks -
1.4__26409.gif
- which note that the drilled one will accomodate 24 leds. I'd like something along their Dimmable Ultra Premium Retrofit Kits - and am open to doing 2 of those heatsinks combined with the 48led setup to parse between the 2. In the kit it offers 24 Cool White Cree XP-G R5 LEDs and 24 Royal Blue Cree XT-E LEDs. I know a few of the colored leds help with coral growth while others (red) is more for making the colors seem more natural per our human eyes.

What do you guys suggest in added color spectrum leds? Do you think i'm crazy keeping with the slim line form/function? Spew your experience/research on me. I've done ton's of prior searches/reading, but all this is subjective for the most part. I want to know what is actually "working" for my local reefers vs hype.

Hey Jason, you might be fine in just adding one of these 24 x 3w setups in the center. Mixing in a couple reds, greens and violets in place of six of the whites. The additional colors really make a huge impact visually in fluorescing different colors of your corals and fish. 72 watts of LED'd will add plenty, just using twelve of the 6500k units for my 'Noon-day' circuit is quite alot of additional light to my 125g. Give me a call if you like, I talk much faster than I can type. I'd suggest using thier 80* optics on all but the Reds & Greens left without.

Cheers, Todd

P.S. You need to come up for another visit to check out how my mix of LED's is working

Last edited:
Thanks Todd. Yeah I think I need to stop by and take a gander at it. I'd like to put in the order soon as I want to make sure everything stays happy. PM me your number again so I can hit you up this weekend for some Q&A.

Back