Re: Phase A) LED build, Phase B) automation/monitoring Phase C)... Profit?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The fuse will be inline on the hot side, and the resistor will be right after it. You will need a fuse and resistor for each leg of the circuit. In a parallel circuit, the amperage is divided by the number of legs, and unless they are electrically even, current will go to the path with the least amount of resistance so if one leg has less simulated resistance then the other leg, all of the 1.3mA will travel through one leg, which would cause the circuit to blow, and ultimately have to replace LED's.

Read this and see why it is important.
http://reefledlights.com/how-to-diy-led/resistors-and-fuses-in-parallel-strings/

i put driver fuse resistor then led string so u dont blow resistor too. in that order

thanks for the details guys, 5w 1ohm resistor put on each string and a 1000ma fuse inserted before that. Will see if they power up tonight.

Hey Jason, this is turning into a great build thread on LED's hope everyone is getting a good lesson on the ability to do a DIY LED project of thier own. I'm already looking forward to my next build and once again have some unique ideas/applications to play with. You still need to come up this way again for a visit, the color and growth of Corals has been incredible.

Cheers, Todd

Hey Todd, when do I get a chance to come out and see the growth, I am feeling a little left out here. Hope all is well.

Gotta look over all the connections, seems to not fire up. :( Individual tests to leds are good. Back to the drawing board and test out all connections.

ok, actually i'm thinking it's the dimmable signal that is the issue. Playing around with an arduino uno, might hook it up to play with pwm dim signal.

Unfortunately not, was out of town last weekend and prepping the weekend prior :( I my just pick up the typhoon controller just to get the light on and work the Aruindo as a second phase. I seem to be really short on time lately.

Are the lights your primary lighting? If not, why not just go with a manual dimming option. (Arduino) Seems like a lot of control for supplementary light.

Do not feel bad Jason, it took me over a year to get mine assembled and fired up... well worth the wait. Get them fired up quickly though as I need to do some serious coral pruning again and can send you home some corals starts that are well acclimated to LED's if you care to visit.

Cheers, Todd

Hahaha Thanks, as always I appreciate the communities support. Life's been busy so projects tend to get a backseat. Current goal is to have this fired up by this weekend. I just need to pick up x2 1k resisters and x2 NPN2N2222 to get moving. Then it aught to be a breeze.

And I would love to take some pruinings!
:yo:

FallOn, To isolate the issue, remove the arduino connection for now and connect the driver signal to a regulated 10 volts or 9 volts if there are none. This will make sure where the problem is. Is it the arduino giving the signal? or the regulated power supply giving the signal? or the driver receiving the signal?

That's what i'm trying to figure out. I've tried the direct 10v with pots to the driver/led bar, but no go. So I'm going to take those sections apart and work with the arduino to separate the possible issues.

If you look at this diagram....

WiringDiagNPN.jpg

You will see that there are only two wires connecting the arduino to your lights... so what i did in mine, I made a disconnect on this two wires so i can remove the arduino and still have lights at the same time.

Like so... its ugly but the concept works.
shoebox_top.jpg
43636d1347383626-re-phase-led-build-phase-b-automation-monitoring-phase-c-profit-shoebox_top.jpg

all the best...

Back