Need some help deisging a LED

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Code-Kid

need help pleasee i have a 40g tank and looking to make a led light for id i have 6x3 aircraft grade aluminum square tubing im going to use as a heat sink with a fan pushing in at one end and one pulling threw the outher end and if i need a bigger heatsink ill bolt another to the 3 inch side and make it wider but i want to grow every thing so what leds should i go for like colors (coolwhite, blue's, violet, cyan) what do you all think?

Ok this was extremely informative. Thanks guys. Now the ? Being do I need the manuals to better understand how and where to connect them. Or is there another thread I can read. I don't have very much experience in this area. And I guess would like to find out meanings as to why we have to do what you do when doing your own fixture. Or can someone point in the direction of an online read, that explain everything to know about led, and setup. Terminology? How to decide how many to use? Conversion of mah to volts? I guess basically everything about it

HTC tapatalk
HTC tapatalk

Hey coder kid give me a day and I will see if I can work something up with ya. I need the demensions of the tank, how high you can go, do you want it to be wired individually? as in all blues on one, white on another or does that matter to ya??

Mike

the tank is 36 long by 15 wide by 17 tall and i was looking to do full colors with cyans, violets, greens and blue, along with the whites with blues/violets on a driver and green/cyan on a driver and the whites on another driver with them all dimmable

Ok so for me I like to create as many color waves as I can when it comes to Leds so I can excite as many pigments as I can in the coral. So yea Blue and royal blue, cool white, mixed with a few violet, cyan and green is what I like to do for a mix. Now in saying that you are somewhat limited by the size of the fixture you are building, as in you need to mix them in. Ok so if your going to use Al. tubing (and I have no idea if that is going to work or not) then you can get about 3 rows?? the tank is 3 feet long so you want to light maybe 2.5 feet of it. So I would say if you have two tubes do that so that we can get a wider more spread and that we can mix the colors and get a better blend. Let me know if you have enough tube to do that ( 2 x 30 inch tubes?) and then I can draw something up for ya.

Mike

yea thats what i mean and i can get enough tubing and i was thinking bolting bolth the tubing togeather that way its a foot wide ? and that was the idea of mixing the colors i had.

thanks for the help

Ok code-kid here we go. So first thing I got to say is that this is a lot of light for a smaller tank. We had to add a lot of lights to get the coverage and spread so you can more then keep anything, but because it is shallow your not going to be running it anywhere close to full power, I would guess somewhere around 25%. Anyway I went with 48 total lights, as this will give you an easy wiring for the 3 drivers that you wanted for individual control and it still kept things fairly tight light spread wise, here is a pic.

codekid.jpg

The shopping list:

24 Cree XP-E Cool whites 3 W
8 Cree XT-E Royal Blues 3 W
8 Cree XP-E Blues 3W
2 Cree XP-E Greens 3W
4 Cree XP-E Violets 3W
2 Cree Xp-E Cyans 3 W
2 ELN 60-48D Meanwell Drivers
4 fuses
4 5Watt 1 Ohm Resistors
1 artic silver adhesive unless you are screwing them down, which in your case I would.
48 carclo wide optics with holders.

So the concept for wiring would be that you would take one driver and run it in parallel with 24 of the cool whites on it, you will do this by seperating them into two strings of 12 with a fuse and a resistor on each line. Then on the next driver you would do the same thing but put all the blues and the other colors together on the 2 strings of 12. You could add another driver to seperate the colors even more but I do see any reason for this as no matter what you do you will have blues mixed in with the colors. And you save the cost of another driver???

Oh and the drawing I screwed up one thing, on the middle light row on the right side the last two lights should be a royal blue and then a white on the end.

hope it helps

Mojo

Last edited:
Wow, that's a lot of bulbs!! But I would agree that you want to get as many as you can for the color range.

I will be following your progress and will use your thread to help make my decisions.

Good luck with your build, and keep it up to date!

You could Josh, however yours will be a lot smaller. It would be better if you controlled yours digitally though being that it is such a small project and you want so much control over it.

Thats a pretty small tank Josh and I dont think it would be worth while to go down the DIY scenerio. Shoot me a pm again .

Mike

Josh you would be able to light your tank with LEDs, we will just have to go a non traditional way. The 3w'ers are a lot of light but with them dimmed down and spaced appropriately you could definitely get yourself a nice DIY light.

Parts
Drivers - these would work great for your set ups re
700mA, Ext Dimmable, BuckPuck Driver - With Leads
Thewe drivers work amazingly for smaller projects and have full dimming capabilities, and at 15 dollars a piece three of them will run you around the same as one meanwell. They require a DC input but I can help you with that. They also sell the harness incase you want to stay away from a PCB.
Lights - what ever colors you want to go with.
Heatsink - you got plenty of info on these already
Controller - a DIY one will run you around 50 dollars but the typhon is amazing and would work wonders in this scenario.

If you would like to do this let me know I would love to help you out.

Also in this case optics are not needed. With the amount of LEDs you are talking about you will have more then enough light without them for all corals. IMO optics are not necessary unless your tank is 20" deep or more. Just my opinion.

Back