Need some help Is this a Scam???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I cant see how your contacts were sent out??? Thats why you dont need anti-virus, phishing, ect programs and theres none made for Apple.

????? not sure just know it happened and id like to beat the s out of these kinda people!!

What happens is they send the e mail to you "contact seller" and it goes to your e mail. Then if you respond they have your e mail and can sell them to advertising groups. And if they get your paypal there stuff they can do with that also. It's happened on craigslist several times.

That's why the messages on here should all be PM's and not to our e mail.

Well I wanted some forum input on this and if this is a good person then we can say so if a scam then we can also say so.

My wife uses PayPal to sell her art work, but if she suspects that something doesn't look right, she will write or call PayPal and ask them for their advice and guidance. She has never had a problem. She sends her works all over the country and the world. She also takes credit cards but she has them call her and she will run their card on her iPhone with the Square app. They read the number/ expiration date and the 3 number code on the back, and she will take a payment that way.

What happens is they send the e mail to you "contact seller" and it goes to your e mail. Then if you respond they have your e mail and can sell them to advertising groups. And if they get your paypal there stuff they can do with that also. It's happened on craigslist several times.

That's why the messages on here should all be PM's and not to our e mail.
Thanks good to know Bill. Thanks

My wife uses PayPal to sell her art work, but if she suspects that something doesn't look right, she will write or call PayPal and ask them for their advice and guidance. She has never had a problem. She sends her works all over the country and the world. She also takes credit cards but she has them call her and she will run their card on her iPhone with the Square app. They read the number/ expiration date and the 3 number code on the back, and she will take a payment that way.

It's amazing that that level of business is occurring out there via smart devices and web pages, and in the account of your wife there we see the legitimate use for business that's safe. But there's so many out there who are dishonest not counting unfair who use these same great processes for ill intentions. Thanks N1Husker for that bit of info.

I personally dont like getting e-mails in my personal account from Reef Frontiers. I like to know a username instead of an e-mail name. Especially now to find out that Lucy is mass e-mailing us. No way for mods to track this kind of scam.

Are these requests about items being sold only on RF, or were they posted on craigslist too? I've had emails from a craigs list ad but never from the classifieds here.

Scooterman, is there a way to manage this type of thing?

Change the way a person contacts us, from the email link it is now, to a pm.
With the requirement of a minimum number of posts and certain numbers of days registered.

Are these requests about items being sold only on RF, or were they posted on craigslist too? I've had emails from a craigs list ad but never from the classifieds here.

Only from Reef Frontiers. I rarely sell on Craigslist.

Change the way a person contacts us, from the email link it is now, to a pm.
With the requirement of a minimum number of posts and certain numbers of days registered.

This is a great idea and the way things were until this new format. AFAIAC this is the only way someone from this forum should be able to get ahold of me unless I give them my number of e-mail via PM.

Yeah, I agree. I have had people email me, by accident even. I haven't minded so far, but I think we should not be able to email members thru the site either. PM's only or use the reeffrontiers email. But RF email is only available to premium members. And I dont know if its still working or not.

Yes its a scam I had the same response when I was selling my 125 gl setup. I am on a ship over seas and want to buy this setup for my nephew but never asked any questions about the setup equipment and then said they would pay by pay-pal and I can ship it to his nephew. I responded saying this isn't a complete setup we need to talk over phone and I am not mailing a 125gl glass tank. Then a mad response saying I don't want to sell to him and how this isn't a scam how pay-pal is safe. I just left it at that I need to talk by phone not email or text to get it straighten out and then no response. hhhmmm..... I had a another similar response when selling my boat wanted pay-pal then they would have someone else pick it up and I said send the money with them when picking it up and another response how this isn't a scam and its safe, I requested a phone call in person and again no response from there.

Yes its a scam I had the same response when I was selling my 125 gl setup. I am on a ship over seas and want to buy this setup for my nephew but never asked any questions about the setup equipment and then said they would pay by pay-pal and I can ship it to his nephew. I responded saying this isn't a complete setup we need to talk over phone and I am not mailing a 125gl glass tank. Then a mad response saying I don't want to sell to him and how this isn't a scam how pay-pal is safe. I just left it at that I need to talk by phone not email or text to get it straighten out and then no response. hhhmmm..... I had a another similar response when selling my boat wanted pay-pal then they would have someone else pick it up and I said send the money with them when picking it up and another response how this isn't a scam and its safe, I requested a phone call in person and again no response from there.
+1 Exactly!
It seems that many have experienced this type of scam, to be honest I'm amazed after reading all the post that so many from this for especially have been targeted. It makes me wonder if its not a old upset member trying burn users from RF (just a theory no facts). Never the less its good to see no one has fallen for the trap.

I dont think its a former member. I get the same emails from craigs list ads. on just about every ad I place, no matter what it is. Everthing from plants & lawn/garden equip to aquarium equip to household goods. I'm just wondering how they get to us from the classifieds here. They, (not being a member?) shouldnt be able to email us.

+1 Exactly!
It seems that many have experienced this type of scam, to be honest I'm amazed after reading all the post that so many from this for especially have been targeted. It makes me wonder if its not a old upset member trying burn users from RF (just a theory no facts). Never the less its good to see no one has fallen for the trap.

I think it's a scammer that just found a new fish hole full of potentual targets.

I've been contacted by similar scammers on craigslist ads. Same parttern.

I dont think its a former member. I get the same emails from craigs list ads. on just about every ad I place, no matter what it is. Everthing from plants & lawn/garden equip to aquarium equip to household goods. I'm just wondering how they get to us from the classifieds here. They, (not being a member?) shouldnt be able to email us.

I've seen people respond to ads with 0 posts

This is a scam...I got the same email for at item I posted in Classifieds...what tipped me off was that no reply was in the original ad post. I immediately deleted the email. do NOT reply as then the scammer has your email address verified.

Back