needing stuff!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

gfoster1983

so i am setting up a 75 gallon reef tank and i am looking for t5 lights, sand, and rock (any kind will work, wet or dry, will take man made as well). i am trying to do this cheap as i have a baby and im getting married soon so money is tight right now but im not totally broke, so if you have anything you want to get off your hands or know someone wanting to get rid of stuff im interested. also if you know of a good place to get stuff please let me know. thanks!!!

Geoff.

ive looked there and there is a lot of good stuff but i am hoping to catch someone with stuff that they forgot they had and they now want to get rid of. this is the time of the year when people start cleaning up and cleaning out.

Typically that is why we have a classified forum here. Could you imagine how cluttered our site would be if every body posted what they wanted, where they wanted??

Not trying to be a jerk here, but everybody else seems to play by those rules.

Have you checked CL
I also heard that the fish store out in Lakewood has a large table of good used stuff.

aquarium paradis is an over priced store. and peppie not to defend the author of this thread you should of looked at his post count. he cant post ads yet! and on a furthur note i doe have the supplys to make 110lbs of diy rock. u can come pick up for 50 buck's will even teach how to make if u would like. i just gave the rest of my live rock to another guy setting up his aquarium.

thanks senji.....the only problem i have with diy rock is it is not astablished rock, that is why i would like to have some real rock, but i just might take you up on that soon.

I would be one to be building rock senji, Im just worried about how porus itd come out.
A guy i saw did it with rock salt, and it melted once rinsed when it was dried.
And it had lots of cervises. Is this how you do it? Iam interested, but have no wheel barrel or sand box :)

Nevets

Also I am currently cycling some rock that I competly cleaned pest free. So it wont have any pests at all. ( i had a major aptisia problem ) nothing bleach didnt fix :)

I probably have 25+ lbs? If you want to claim them, maybe to help me build my led setup :)

Nevets

i mix portland white cement and oystershell and extra course rock salt and water then shape it how i want let it dry for 3 days then start the fresh water cureing for 3 weeks changeing water everyday. then start low salinity water for 2 weeks then full salinity for 2 more then use kent marine rock prep to get all loose cement and debris off and start my cycle.ive been told since u use oystershell u wont have to seed but never tested this theory. alwas have at least a couple of live rock in the tank cycleing and remove every 3 days and scrape some coraline and pour over the power heads. the best part of diy rock is u can make all youre rocks have cave holes in them so lots of passage ways for critters to get to other side.

Also - please note that buying and selling in the open forum, no matter the intent, is against our terms and conditions.

Geoff - keep posting!! And once you meet the requirements (50 posts/30 days on RF) so you can view and post in our classifieds section do be sure to setup a wanted post and see what you can find.

so i am setting up a 75 gallon reef tank and i am looking for t5 lights, sand, and rock (any kind will work, wet or dry, will take man made as well). i am trying to do this cheap as i have a baby and im getting married soon so money is tight right now but im not totally broke, so if you have anything you want to get off your hands or know someone wanting to get rid of stuff im interested. also if you know of a good place to get stuff please let me know. thanks!!!

Geoff.

do you know what direction you are heading in, softies, lps,sps....what type of fish and critters are you interested in?

btw, welcome to RF!

I'm doing it simple.....softies, nothing agresive, I'm going to use a backpack filter, two circulation pumps, a heater and i would like to use T5 lights. Any suggestions are greatly welcome. I am very excited to finally be building a tank I have wanted to for many years now.

I have a grotto-shaped Vida Rock - in an established Solana 34 cube. Looking to make a change, so if you're interested PM me for some photos. Actually, if you follow that link, mine is the Solana cube in the center of the gallery of aquarium pics.

Last edited:
I'm doing it simple.....softies, nothing agresive, I'm going to use a backpack filter, two circulation pumps, a heater and i would like to use T5 lights. Any suggestions are greatly welcome. I am very excited to finally be building a tank I have wanted to for many years now.

I'm not a big fan of HOB filters...or filters at all on a reef tank for that matter. you may want to put the money into a skimmer rather than filter that will just become a nitrate factory. For cheap cheap lights I use aquatraders brand and they grow zenia and macros well, even have a frag of frogspawn doing perfect under thos lights and am currnetly experimenting with a frag of monti to see if will be enough light.

Back