Nemcrazy's crazy Coldwater 45

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looks good. I have thought about a temperate tank because I love diving here. But I can't grab my own stuff and the stuff can needs to go thru the "proper " channels. So I gave up maybe one day I'll get anouther tank and do temperate.

Looks good. I have thought about a temperate tank because I love diving here. But I can't grab my own stuff and the stuff can needs to go thru the "proper " channels. So I gave up maybe one day I'll get anouther tank and do temperate.
See that's why I started this tank now. The guys at Coldwater marine are able to sell alot of what you see on dives around here. And you don't have to go big like mine either. These critters scream for a micro reef. At that size the chillers are reasonable. I always wanted to but couldn't collect here but now there is a way to do it. Check em out.

Last edited:
is there any reason to not use live rock or even dead liverock instead of the boring regular rocks i always see in cold tanks??
Mostly its the aesthetics of keeping with what you see the animals living on in the wild, but no there is no reason you couldnt use old tropical rock instead. I have about 60 lbs of fist sized old rock in a sump area in my system just for the added calcium break down and more BB living space. I've been doing more and more DIY'd spray foam rocks as of recently since they provide just as much (if not more) porosity as coral based rock, its cheaper, you can do mammoth structures, and it weighs almost nothing unless you weigh it down.

Well no need for live rock really because the biological process is so inefficient in Coldwater. And I. Like the look of the smooth rock studded with nems. And the biggest reason price. I gotine free on the side of the road! I might use some lace rock or dead rock as an experiment . But for the new tank I want to diy foam rocks and that won't be boring lol
Exactly :D

Check out the links in my signature, that should get you on the right track ;)

See that's why I started this tank now. The guys at Coldwater marine are able to sell alot of what you see on dives around here. And you don't have to go big like mine either. These critters scream for a micro reef. At that size the chillers are reasonable. I always wanted to but couldn't collect here but now there is a way to do it. Check em out.
Exactly again, lol :D

That's a good point. I can scrub those rocks pretty easy when the cuc can't get it done. While I was it the garden area today looking at pea gravel they also had crushed rock and larger smooth ston substrate. I was thinking of having a mix. Maybe not the crushed do to the irregular detritus catching shapes. But mixing in the size and shape of the larger smooth stones that can be blown clean by a power head when cleaning. And provide a natural look also. That's my story at least :) I am having diatoms pop up for the last week that the cuc has been battling pretty good. It will be one month for this tank as of wed. It seems like so much has happened already.

Update time. The tank is almost 4 months old now. The tank made it through the heat of summer. Better than my tropical anemone tank did actually. I lost all my painted anemones and the urchin. I've got video of it today. You'll notice all the bubbles blowing in the tank. It's from my fluvial 404 that I have been rehabbing and it's working but blowing bubbles every 3 seconds but since these are tidal critters they don't mind at all. It's kinda cool. But I may just end up fixing it. Oh and the Catalina female looks like she's carrying eggs:)YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Back