Neptune Apex

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Here is the information:

If you want to help test the latest firmware for the Apex, then read on. Don't expect this release to be perfect - that is why it is a beta release. If for any reason you are not comfortable putting beta firmware in your controller, I recommend that you wait for the final release.

This release adds the following features:

- Support for VDM module
- Support for EB4 module
- Enhanced graphing with support for multiple probes and outlets.
- probe naming and configuration from web browser
- Added weather profile type.
- miscellaneous bug fixes.

The firmware can be downloaded from:

www.neptunesys.com/apex_4_04.zip

Curt

I would agree Apex is awesome and the customer service is incredible. We had issues hooking ours up an the customer service was phenomenal. One of the reps called us that evening and talked us through it. We also had a plug burn out on the dc8 brick to no fault of Apex. It was a problem with the actual plug. Apex sent us a brand new one at no charge and we didn't even have to pay for shipping!

What version of the Apex do you recommend? What comes with a basic purchase? Is there a way to start cheaper and upgrade? I have a basic system with pumps, lights and skimmers. No reactors or probes. Any advice is appreciated.

I would suggest including at least a DC4, if not the DC8 (for a minimal price difference) to give you the ability to actually control something.....

PM me if you need more info.
D

What version of the Apex do you recommend? What comes with a basic purchase? Is there a way to start cheaper and upgrade? I have a basic system with pumps, lights and skimmers. No reactors or probes. Any advice is appreciated.

There is an Apex (which support Ph + ph/orp + temp + Tunze pumps) and an Apex Lite (ph + temp). Either can be brought up to the same features as the other using various modules. Each comes with an EB8 (think smart power control module) that your various devices plug into and are controlled and monitored by.

dc8 comes with the package I linked above

I think you mean EB8; a DC8 is an X10 direct connect device used with the AquaController 3 and lower. It can work with the Apex but the EB8 is the newer and smarter power control module.

I was looking at controllers for a new location... I have a ~2 year old aquatronica system now which works really well, but I was wondering if anyone has used the Neptune Systems Apex controller yet. All input would be appreciated!

-Josh

Josh, I spoke with the guy at Neptune's and all I can say is his customer service in the beginning is much better than past experiences. We were on the phone for over an hour and never once did he try to hurry me away, was very nice answering my stupid questions and even told to wait on a couple because they are releasing some new products that will do a better job. I just purchased mine and am awaiting its delivery.....

I would suggest you call both OEM's of interest and see for yourself.

Kenargo: The new graphs look great! I think I will wait for folk like you to finish up testing before I load. My system is "production" :)
I said probably on port blocking as I have hear rumblings that some isps are testing stateful firewalls... Ouch!

Rob: What you are looking for is called port forwarding, and if I remember correctly kenargo has a link that explains it rather well... Um, not any more. What happened to the unofficial apex guide? Anyhoo shoot me a PM if you want some help sorting it out.

-Todd

Rob: What you are looking for is called port forwarding, and if I remember correctly kenargo has a link that explains it rather well... Um, not any more. What happened to the unofficial apex guide? Anyhoo shoot me a PM if you want some help sorting it out.

-Todd

Todd, I hope it is OK for me to post this link but it will take you to the Unofficial Apex Guide.....

Mods if this is not OK please remove

Kenargo: The new graphs look great! I think I will wait for folk like you to finish up testing before I load. My system is "production" :)
I said probably on port blocking as I have hear rumblings that some isps are testing stateful firewalls... Ouch!

-Todd

Link to the guild on my webpage; Questions and Answers page

I was looking at controllers for a new location... I have a ~2 year old aquatronica system now which works really well, but I was wondering if anyone has used the Neptune Systems Apex controller yet. All input would be appreciated!

-Josh

I couldn't be happier with my Apex. I have a really simple system, but it's nice to have intelligent control on my fans now, and not just have them on a timer. I hated it when I'd see my fans and heaters on at the same time! The ability for email/text message alerts as well as remote access via the internet really give me peace of mind. pH and ORP monitoring also leads for some "enlightening" observations about what's really going on in my tank, and how much pH can change when mucking around in the tank! :eek:

It's an expensive little toy, but I'm kicking myself for not laying down the cash earlier.

Thanks Mike, I'll check it out again.

Getting remote access working would be great. I'll check out the unofficial guide again and see what is in there. Maybe knowing its called port forwarding will be what I need to get it set up.

I was trying to set up the modem as a DMZ before, but didn't see an option. That what I set my router as to do the same thing for online gaming. I'll mess with it some more this weekend and hopefully get it working.

Thanks!

Getting remote access working would be great. I'll check out the unofficial guide again and see what is in there. Maybe knowing its called port forwarding will be what I need to get it set up.

I was trying to set up the modem as a DMZ before, but didn't see an option. That what I set my router as to do the same thing for online gaming. I'll mess with it some more this weekend and hopefully get it working.

Thanks!

Ping me if you need help; in addition to the unifficial manual I have some images of port forward screens for some routers on my website. What router are you using?

Thanks!

Go to page 28 I think this is where the internet config begins..Lots of great info in this guide.

Its not the router I need forwarding on I don't think, but the modem.

When I actually had this working, the router had an external ip address. Then I did something, and the router now has a local ip address, and the modem has the outside. I need to get the modem to pass the outside ip address through to the router, and then I think all is set up and should be working...

I have a DNS set up and everything, and had it working for about 5 minutes before I broke something and then had to reset the modem..... :(

It sounds like you need to forward 2 places; the public internet to the internal router (done in the modem) and the router to the controller (done in the router). Basically you have a double-NAT environment.

WOW all I can say is OUCH...... Just purchased all of the parts and add on modules. looks like I will be getting all APEX geeked out in two weeks.

For all of you looking to get a APEX I found that TB Aquatics has the best prices.

Back