new 120 gal reef, no budget constraints, want the best equip

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

skylersdad

Hi, coming back after long time out of hobby. starting up 120 gal reef (sps, etc) my budget is flexible i.e. i'm more concerned with using the best equip, that provides the best envirn, and when possible limits maintainence. i would appreciate you views on the best equip in the following catogories:

MH bulbs (color is key but good growth is a close 2nd)
MH ballast
calcium reactor
skimmer
pump(s) (LFS suggested center overflow, two outputs from ref-sumb)
control would be octopus (unless you someone else tells me no way)

thank you

I'm kinda in the same boat as you... I've got a 90 I'm working on upgrading to a 120-in-the-wall (48x24x24) within the next 6 months or so...

This is what I've been thinking based on my experience w/ the 90:

Lighting: 2x 250w 13k Aqualine B. Bulbs w/ 6x54w 420nm T-5

Ballast(s): Icecap

Ca Reactor: Geo has some quality combo packages (everything included) for good price

Skimmer: Deltec (from my experience), or Bubble-King (everyone says it's the best)... water quality is most important. Do the filtration right and just do it once.

Pumps: I still like the mag-Drives as a good return pump from inside the sump. If using 2 1-in holes for drain the mag12 should work nice. For more the flow in the tank...I'm really impressed w/ the Hydor Korallia Pumps. I'm planning on putting two adj. speed#4s on their wave maker on switching the current back and forth.

Well, that's what I've come up with so far for myself...hope this info puts you in a good direction

make sure you buy the korallia controller for those of you'll mess them up!

Yes bubble king is supposed to be the best skimmer
WM also makes good skimmers
If your restricted to size I would get a CONE skimmer smaller but more efficient.

I'm rolling with a dual hamilton electronic ballast with two plugs two switches one box.
Lumen bright reflectors
a swc 250 skimmer (needs big sump) so you could go with the 200.
titanium heaters so no glass to break. Sedra 12000a return pump
Dart for the closed loop system.
2x54w T-5 supp light. on icecap 660
on a 125gallon
the new reefkeeper is a good controller as is the reefkeeper2
and the AQUACONROLLERjr is affordable but versatile and can be programed from your computer
Don't know anything about the octpus control.

Last edited:
Back