New Camera, new pix

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Here is a shot of my scopas tang I shot tonight. I like this little guy, it has been a voracious algea eater since the minuite I acclimated it to my tank!

scopas.jpg

big t said:
Here is a shot of my scopas tang I shot tonight. I like this little guy, it has been a voracious algea eater since the minuite I acclimated it to my tank!

scopas.jpg

That is just outstanding Tom. I got an idea, why don't you fly over here and take pics of my stuff. I'll buy ya a steak dinner!!!:D :D :D :D

Ilham, I am pretty sure that I had it at 400 for that pic. I don't have anything on my computer to read exif data. I am looking for something that will do it, anyone help me out?

Ok I picked up a new lense today and wow it is easy to get pix like this one. This pic of my 2.5" niger trigger is unedited apart from resize. The lense is a Nikkor 50mm 1.8D

DSC_0460.jpg

hey tom i think we should build the sump @ your house and went it done we should load some frag in it and see how it looks:lol: :D

very nice frags,opps sorry picture:lol:

Ok here is a unedited pic of the scopas taken at iso 800 with the new lense. It is not really as well focused as the other pic but you can see there is a lot more detail there.

DSC_0468.jpg

This is a quick pic that I sharpened once and put on a sherman boarder. This is my ocellaris clown that has been with me for nearly 4 years now.

elvis.jpg

Great shots again Tom...Looks like you are really getting the hang of using that camera.

Last edited:
Thanks Krish, I am starting to get the hang of it. There is a lot to learn, I am having fun.

Mike, yup sure is. That is the only fish that I have with a name.

Nice Pics Tom!!! I am hopeing to get some decent pics of my tank soon. I have alot of new stuff that I want to show off. Lost my Torch though :( I probably should have started with Frogspawn or a Hammer instead.

I would love to see the flow or at least know how it is going in that frag rack tank :) I noticed it comming in from above in the back and at the front bottom not flowing directly twoards any corals not even from a distance I am still a little confused over what is too much or not enoughp flow and how far outputs should be from corals that say high flow needed ? I would love to know your thoughts on this :) I tried making high flow on an acro only to make laminar flow wich I corrected but am into seeing how others direct there flow !!

Last edited:
Detri, sorry to hear of you torch loss. That is a bummer, and best of luck with getting in a healthy frogspawn to replace it. We want pics of your other stuff :D

Plack, I have noticed that corals even if they are considered 'high flow' do not like nozzles pointed directly at them. They will quickly loose the tissue that is directly affected. In this tank I have the flow bouncing off the sides mostly. I am also working on getting some alternating current going on my tanks. I have had d-swirls kicking around for years now but never implemented them. I put one on my main tank last week and just need some finishing touches on another one. After that I am going to make a device that will hold a couple powerheads and rotate them in the middle of the frag tank. Anyway you are welcome to stop by and check out my flow anytime you want, I seem to remember that you come by tacoma every once in a while anyway right?

Hi Tom,
Great shots! Thanks for sharing them. I look forward to more of the fish pictures. They are the really hard ones to get. It's like asking a 2 year old to hold still for a picture (it always ends up being an action shot :lol: )

Regards,
Kevin

big t,
If you want to use the current lens and get closer (so you don't have to crop your shots), pick up some close-up filters to fit your current lens. I think that Sigma has a 62mm filter size on it. Go to your camera store or do a search on e-bay for close-up filters and the size to find them. This is a cheap way to get closer!

The alternative is to get a true macro lens. While I would have liked to get the Nikon 105mm micro (macro) lens, I got the next best....a Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro Lens. This is a great lens for shooting macros!

ohh boy huge T, those are some awesome shots !!!
i really like your pictures a lot :) .
i can't wait to see more pictures !! i also love your black ocellaris !!!

Beaker, thanks for the tip. I had actually just run out and bought some close up filters about a day or 2 before you posted, but they do work pretty good. They dont seem to work very well with the autofocus, but are great with manual focus. I am saving up my money and will be getting one of those 105's one day.

Gabster here is a new picture. I was very inspired by Sherman's pic of the sixline so I tried to get a good one myself. While not really in the same class I think it is pretty good for me.

6line2.jpg

Back